Chapter 29 - Returning

When Keira left, Leah returned. It felt weird as one important person in my life went away, another came back. But, we both knew it was for the best that Leah wasn't in the apartment when Keira was - it would have only raised more questions.

"Hey," Leah said, as she walked through the door. I was sitting on the couch, watching Sky Sports News.
"Hi," I replied back smiling. After the Olympics, everything felt more weird than it was before. It was as if the time in Tokyo meant more distance grew between us, rather than less. Secrets sometimes draw people closer, but for some reason, it only felt like it created more space between us.
"I've missed you," Leah said, as she came over and sat beside me.
"Me too," I replied back. I smiled at this, but for some reason, something did feel off. It didn't feel right.
"Well, round one is going to be interesting," Leah started to say. Chelsea were set to face Arsenal in the opening round of the 2021/2022 season, and we knew it was going to be a big game. Whenever the two London teams verse, it is something different.
"Yeah, it will," I replied, laughing. She grabbed my hand, and pulled me to her. This was reassuring. It felt as if she still wanted what she knew I did.
"Come here," Leah then said, adding to her action. I leant into her, and she kissed the top of my head. I had missed this. I really, truly had. "How was Kie?"
"She's good. It was nice just spending some time with her. Things have been weird recently."
"Yeah, I figured," Leah replied. We lay there, together, in each other's arms, reconnecting after the few months of metaphorical distance. I knew that what we had felt right. It just needed to go back to how it was before.

"So," Leah started to say, "what happened in that bronze medal match?" I didn't know what to say, or how to reply.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, Keira looked extremely concerned for what was only apparent dehydration, and," Leah started to trail off slightly, "so did Raso."
"Oh, I mean, Hales is my friend and Keira's always worried about me." Leah shrugged slightly.
"I'm not entirely oblivious, Ett. I do know something else is up." I looked away, not wanting to lie but at the same time, not wanting to say anything.
"Lee, everything is okay. Tokyo had weird weather, and I wasn't drinking enough, and I fainted." As I looked back at Leah, I knew she wasn't convinced. Neither was I, to be fair.

"Well, on a side note, Hayley did look really worried." Did I hear some jealousy in her voice? I chuckled slightly.
"Are you a little jealous?" I asked her, cheekily.
"No," Leah replied, in a sarcastic tone, "well maybe."
"She was just checking up on me."
"I know, but sometimes I just want to be that person. The person to hold your hand and see if you're okay." I sighed slightly, wanting the same thing.
"I know, I want that too. In the end, it's up to us. It's our secret, and when we want, we can talk to Keira and others." Leah looked away from me as I said this, which grew a burning hole in my stomach.
"I just don't know if I can do that to Jords. Not yet." I nodded, understanding where she was coming from. Knowing that she was probably right. But, I still felt annoyed. I didn't want to have to worry about others. I just wanted us to be focused on us.

For the few weeks leading up to the game, the girls at Chelsea were excited for the big match. Sam came back from her trip, and was as happy as I had ever seen her.

"What's got you so smiley today?" I asked her, as she was looking at her phone.
"Nothing," Sam replied, smiling still.
"What are you looking at?" I asked, nosily. She pointed the phone to me, and I saw some pictures of her trip to the US. On the screen, was a picture of Kristie looking out the window in Miami, with the blue sea below her.
"Wow, that looks amazing."
"I miss it. I miss her," Sam said, slightly sad.
"You'll see her soon."
"Not for at least two months."
"It'll fly by, I promise." Sam nodded, knowing it was true. Time does fly when you're doing something you love.

After the training, we were sent some pictures. We were wearing the black training kit, and it was a lovely day in London. I saw a picture of me and Sam, playing against each other in a 1 v 1. It was a great photo, as the London sun was actually present. We were both smiling, as we found it thrilling going against one another. I had started being more confident on social media, posting what I wanted more regularly. Comments about my body had calmed down, especially after posting more regularly. I decided to upload the picture of me and Sam.

Ettiewalsh7: loving the London sun!

Samanthakerr20: might i just add that i scored after this ;)

mbrighty04: so cute etts!

Keirawalsh: if only manchester got sun :(

As we all started to prepare for the Arsenal game, I only realised that I will have to verse Leah again. Although, this time, as it is the start of the season, the pressure won't be too high. Not as high as it will be during an FA Cup final or a Champions League match. But, let's hope it all runs smoothly.