Chapter 5 - Everton

As I got to the field the next day, I had a message from Leah.

Leah: go out there and smash it! You'll do great

Ettie: aww love you lee! Thank you <3

It felt good knowing that Leah was an extra person supporting me. I needed her. I think more than I realised at the time.

We were set to play Everton in the opening clash, against Hayley. Hayley Raso. My ex-girlfriend. I was nervous to see her. I hadn't seen her in quite a while, and we hadn't talked much since we broke up.

I sat in the changing room with Millie and Sam, tying our shoes. Emma, our manager, came over to me, and sat beside me, which surprised me, slightly.

"Ettie," she said, "You'll be playing center back today, okay? I know it's not your preferred position but I really want to see you there. You'll also be starting." All I could do was nod. I was so excited to go out and play, but nervous not to be in my most comfortable position.

"Okay." As Emma walked away, Sam turned to me.

"Don't be nervous," she said, confidently, "you're a great center back. Playing against you in training is not fun." I smiled at this, thanking her for her vote of confidence.

"And if you need anything," Millie then said, "just give me a look, and I'll read your mind." I laughed at this, and gave them both slight nudges.

As we lined up to go out onto the field, I saw Hayley. She was standing with her Everton team mates, laughing and chatting, her iconic ribbon tied in her hair. I tried not to stare at her, but it felt weird. She was the closest person in my life for a while, and then it just ended. It came crashing down. I wasn't staring because I wanted her, or because I missed her even, but rather, I just had flashbacks of my life with her. My time with her.

She turned, and saw me. Our eyes caught, and she smiled, so I returned it. She wasn't making it weird, or unusual, like I thought she might. She was polite and lovely, just the Hayley I remember. We couldn't talk as we were about to enter onto the field, but I was glad she was okay with me. I was glad she wasn't still upset.

As we walked out onto the field, the Chelsea fans definitely showed up. It was amazing to see all the blue cascading around the ground.

"And on debut for Chelsea, we have number 7, Juliette Walsh!" The announcer said over the loudspeaker. The crowd roared, and Sam gave me a slight nudge and smile.

"I knew they'd love you," she whispered in my ear as we were lined up on the field. I laughed at this, and smiled.

"Not as much as they love you!" I replied.

The game quickly commenced, and we had the first touch. Everton were a strong team, especially now that Hayley and other big names had recently joined the squad. As I sat back, alongside Magda and Millie, Jess was on the bench.

We had a solid back line, and none of the Everton forwards could get past us. If I went one on one with an attacker, both Magda and Millie would cover my back, and vice versa. We were flowing and communicating. It was working. I was working. I was making center back my position.

In the 13th minute, I passed a big ball over the top of the midfield, and then Sam went on a run. She ran from half way and lobbed it over the goalkeeper to put it in the back of the net. I had an assist and Sam had a goal. We all ran up to her, and jumped on top, smiling and cheering that we were up.

"Nice assist! Told you that you can still attack at center back!" she said, as we were walking back to restart play.

"I was in our defensive half, but I'll take it," I replied, laughing.