Chapter 37 - Barcelona

Versing Barcelona in the final was always going to be difficult. They smashed us last year (4-0) and we were determined to not let that happen again. As we arrived at the ground, I had a message from Leah.

Leah: go smash it! You'll do great. I love you

Ettie: I love you too, wish you were here :(

Since the issue with Keira, Leah and I kept our relationship completely under wraps. No one knew. Leah also only stayed at my apartment a couple days a week, so as to not let the suspicion rise. We didn't want any word of me and Leah being in each others' presence to get back to Keira. I know I shouldn't care. I know I should stand up for myself and my relationship, but I can't let go of what Keira threatened me with. I can't let go of what she dared to say. The truths she dared to expose.

I started the game on the left wing, playing slightly as a midfielder. It was weird being so high up the field, but it meant I had the opportunity to create plays and pass it up to the forwards. I really enjoyed it. Over the past few years, I have been moved around a lot. I have played in the left back, in the center back, in the center half and now the left wing. But, being a utility player is very favourable. I get a lot of playing time and I can grow myself and my ability.

During the game, Barcelona had a lot of possession, but we knew that was going to be the case. We knew that they were strong on the ball, but we also had a weapon. Sam's speciality has always been the fast breaks, so if we utilised that we were going to be okay.

As Barca got a shot on target, which was saved by AKB, we were aiming for the fast break. Magda got it on the left, and passed it up to me. I dribbled the ball down past half way, and saw Sam, who was aiming to make a lead. I slipped it through the Barcelona defenders, and nutmegged two players. It landed at Sam's feet, and she faked left, and swerved the ball to the right. It was in, and we were up. Scoring against the best team is an indescribable feeling.

By half time, we were still up. We were determined not to let the lead go to waste. We kept on the attack, trying to hold possession, but it's hard against such a formidable team. Barca soon were on the attack, and in the 61st minute, they equalised. A tap in at the goal by Ingrid Engen meant they levelled. It was frustrating, but we still had 30 minutes.

By full time, it was still 1-1, and as it went into extra time, both teams had lost momentum. We were going to penalties.

Barcelona went first, and the ball slipped past AKB, but Jessie soon levelled, netting her goal into the top corner. As Alexia Putellas went to take her shot, we were almost certain it was going to go in. It was inevitable. She's meant to be the best player in the world. As she went to take it, she hit it low and into the corner, but AKB went the same way, got fingers to it, and pushed it aside. She missed. Maren went up, and took her shot, and it went in. It was never in doubt. Maren is the best penalty taker. Barcelona's third player got it in, past AKB and then Pernille was up next. Pernille is always calm on these shots, and she pushed it into the top corner, and smashed it into the back of the net. We were up 3-4.

The next Barca player got it in, and it was up to Guro to seal the win. If she got it in, we had won the champions league. As she hit the ball, I was grabbing onto Sam and Millie's hands, so desperate for the win. As she took the shot, she pushed it into the bottom corner, but unfortunately the keeper got there first, and saved it. It was levelled. 4-4. And that's when I realised, I was the next Chelsea penalty taker.

Jenny Hermoso was the next Barca player to take her shot. I was surprised she was taking one, as it is usually unusual for strikers to take penalties. I know Sam hates and therefore hardly takes penalties. As she lined up for her hit at the ball, she faked her run up, trying to throw off AKB, but it failed. AKB wasn't phased, and as Hermoso hit it, AKB saved it.

I realised that if I made my shot, we would win. The pressure fell to me. My brain was in rapid fire mode.

"Childhood star Ettie Walsh set to take the penalty."

"Will Ettie Walsh succumb to the pressure?"

"Coming back from illness is hard, is Walsh ready for this?"

I put those comments to the back of my mind, and knew I needed to live in the moment. I needed to stop thinking, and do what I do best. Play football.

I lined the ball up at the penalty spot, and took five steps back.

One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.

I ran up to the ball, and hit it with all my force, and smashed it. It flew into the top left corner, and was in. I had done it. I turned around, to see all the girls running up to me. They were smiling, and cheering.

"We did it!" Sam said, picking me up and spinning me around.

I couldn't help but smile, and when all the girls huddled around me, I felt more love than I had ever felt in my life.

"Ettie," Erin said in her Scottish accent, "we actually did it! We won the champions league!" I grabbed her, and pulled her close, so proud of us. So proud of the team.

Emma came running over and grabbed me, and whispered into my ear.
"Juliette, you, my girl, are a superstar." A tear formed in my eye. I hugged my manager back, so thankful she accepted me. So thankful she trusted me. So thankful she believed in me.

We were awarded our medals, and as Magda went to grab the trophy, we lifted it in the air, champagne spraying everywhere.
"You're in your element!" I screamed to Sam, over the loud music. She was drinking the champagne straight out of the bottle.
"What can I say," she started to reply, "I know how to party!" She ended up drowning me in alcohol, and squirting it out of her mouth. I could only laugh at how crazy this girl is.

After scoring the winning penalty, I ended up gaining more than 50k followers on instagram. The game ended up going viral, and surcumbing more than 8 million views on twitter. I went from having 350k, to over 400k. It was crazy.

I posted a picture from the game, of me turning around and seeing all my teammates run up to me, after scoring the winning penalty.

Ettiewalsh7: my girls. my support. my family. we did it. Champions league champions

Samanthakerr20: love this pic and love you!!!!!

Mbrighty4: we did it ettles! Love you longg time

Erincuthbert_: proud is an UNDERSTATEMENT

Magdalenaeriksson16: amazing work. Proud of the team and of you!

That post got over 300k likes, and my instagram nearly crashed. It was crazy how many people started investing in our game when something goes viral or when an underdog beats a favourite.

After the match, I had messages from Leah.

Leah: omg you're taking a penalty. Im crossing my fingers.

Leah: yes my girl!!! You did it!! So proud of youuuu

Leah: I just can't wait to hug you and squeeze you till you burst!

Ettie: HAHAH omg, see you soonnnn <3

I also checked and saw I had a message from keira.

Keira: im the proudest I have ever been. I love you so much ettie. I'm sorry. We need to talk.

When I saw the message, I knew she was right. We did have to talk. So, I replied to her.

Ettie: i'll come to Manchester as soon as I get back. I promise. I love you too.

I knew it was the right thing to do. I did miss her. But I only wish I can talk some sense into my best friend. Into my person. Into my twin.

Note: sorry for the break, just had to wrap my head around some things. Hope you enjoy the chapter, but they may come a little more irregularly