Chapter 60 - Soulmates

Final Four decided: Australia, Netherlands, USA and England set to play in semi finals, for chance to obtain World Cup Glory

The final four have been decided for the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup. Australia, the USA, the Netherlands and England are on their way to make history.

Australia have been the surprise package at this World Cup. Although having the home crowd, Australia have never placed at a major tournament before, with just missing out on a bronze medal at the postponed 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Superstar striker, Sam Kerr, and defensive dynamite, India Harrison, have been leading the Australian side, with both players in the running for player of the tournament.

The Netherlands narrowly missed out on World Cup glory in 2019, after making it to the final for the first time in their history. The Netherlands are supported by Vivianne Miedema, one of the World's best attacking forwards.

The USA have been dominant in the World Cup for several years now, winning the past two tournaments and placing second in 2011. Star forward, Bradie Van Dyk, has been leading their attack, while sister duo, Sam and Kristie Mewis, have been vital in the midfield. They are aiming for their third consecutive title, and first World Cup win under coach Vlatko Andonovski.

England have been cruising along this tournament so far, with young captain Leah Williamson leading the way. England notably have one of the best defensive units, supported by 2020 FIFA's best player, Lucy Bronze, and her full back partner, Juliette Walsh.

It was confirmed that England would take on the Netherlands in the semi final, in Auckland, and the USA would be coming up against home town favourites, Australia, in Melbourne. These two matchups will be the biggest semi finals this competition has ever seen.

"Ettie! We really have to go," Georgia said, standing at the door with her suitcase. I was still trying to pack the rest of my things, but I tried to rush.

"Yes, yes, I'm coming," I replied back. I ended up throwing everything into the bag, and trying to zip it up. I knew I was going to regret that decision when we arrived at the hotel in Auckland, but nothing that could be done now.

As we walked out of the hotel room, we heard another door close. Leah had walked out of her room, with her suitcase in her hand. I looked down at the ground, not wanting to make eye contact. The three of us, Georgia, Leah and I, just stood there.

"Well," Georgia said, breaking the silence, "we best get going." We got into the lift, and as we went down the 15 floors, not a word was spoken. I saw Georgia try not to chuckle. On the other hand, I just saw Leah with an expressionless face. And me, well, I found it excruciatingly painful being in that elevator.

Leah exited the elevator first, and once she was out of ear, Georgia turned to me.

"That was awkward.'

"Yeah," I replied.

"I didn't realise your fight was this bad," she then said. I hadn't told her yet about the break up, and now was a better time than any.

"Yeah, well, we broke up," I said to her.

"Excuse me, what?" Georgia answered.

"Yeah, but just keep it to yourself okay? We don't want anything to come in the way of winning." I realised that that has become my mindset, at any cost. Nothing was to come in the way of winning.

We flew to Auckland in order to prepare for our game against the Netherlands. The Netherlands were a strong team. They had potential to win, but so did we. If we could keep our heads focused and put in the effort, I couldn't see any reason for us not to win.