Chapter 28 - All Too Well

SURPRISE SHOCK: the Matildas beat Team GB in Olympics quarter finals to proceed to their first ever top four finish!

The Matildas beat one of the clear favourites at the Tokyo 2020 games, pulling off a stunning win against one of the strongest Team GB sides seen. Sam Kerr's brace, and goals from Alanna Kennedy and Mary Fowler, brought the Matildas to their win and guaranteed them a place in the top four. Despite an Ellen White hat trick, the team GB side fell short.

In the 86th minute, one of Team GB's most pivotal players, Juliette Walsh, collapsed. After the match, it was determined that she fainted due to "dehydration", as stated by the medics. Without one of their key players, this paved the way for a perfect opportunity for Sam Kerr to score the equaliser in the 89th minute. Juliette Walsh, alongside Lucy Bronze, is often regarded as England's most prolific player, with over 80 caps to her name and being only 23.

Team GB now go empty handed in the Women's Football competition, however, there is still more Team GB content to come. So stay tuned, and support our athletes as they strive for Olympic greatness!

We left Tokyo feeling bitterly disappointed. Losing in the quarters was rough. We all felt as if we had more to give. More to do. We knew that this wasn't going to be the end though. We were going to come back stronger in 2024. We knew it.

As we were on the plane, Georgia and I were nowhere near as excited as when we were arriving in Tokyo. This plane trip, we were down and unenthusiastic. But, this is football. There are highs, and then there are lows.

As I arrived back in London, Keira stayed with me for a night before making her way up to Manchester. We wanted to have a sister weekend before pre season started. Leah went to stay with her Mum and brother, to give Keira and I space but also so it didn't look weird her living with me.

"So Luce is having surgery?" I asked her, as we sat on the couch.
"Yeah, just to fix her knee. Should only be out for a couple months." Lucy had been having some knee issues through the Olympics and prior, and so, while there was a slight down period in the international football season, she decided to try and clear it up now.
"You'll be right at City, right?" I asked.
"I mean, we should be. No one else is out injured, at this point."

We grabbed some dinner together, and reconnected after the emotional distance that was set between us.
"What happened in the game?" Keira asked me, seriously.
"Kie, I'm fine," I said, trying to change the topic.
"No, you're not. Please don't lie." I looked at her, frustrated that she was pushing me but understanding why she was.
"It was just the stress of a high pressure match, I think," I said to her, "my heart was just pumping too hard, beating too fast." She gave me a look, and I could tell she was annoyed.
"So, what does the doctor say you should do for it?" she asked.
"I just have to make sure I take my meds and so on. Kie, I promise, I'm fine."

We moved the conversation on, and surprisingly, she brought up something I didn't think she would.
"When you went down," she started to say, "during the game, Hayley came bolting over. I was quite surprised."
"Oh, I mean, I guess it's because she knew why."
"I saw Leah looking just as confused though."
"Yeah," I started to reply, trying to shake the awkward mention of both Leah and Hayley off my chest, "well, Hayley knew how to help during those situations when they used to happen a lot and Leah doesn't know. No one does."
"But, I thought you and Leah were really close now? I mean, you're both in London, so you probably need someone who knows, living in London." I nodded, knowing she was right, but I didn't want Leah to know. I didn't want to be treated differently.
"Hayley did look really concerned though. Are you sure there's nothing there anymore?" she asked me, seriously.
"I mean, what happened between Hayley and I crumbled apart so quickly that I didn't even realise it was over until it was. She broke her back, I was dealing with a heart condition, and we both couldn't deal with a relationship any longer. I think we have both realised that we work better as how we are now, you know? There's no bad blood and we're both happy."
"Wow, you guys are so profound." I laughed at this, and gave Kie a slight nudge, knowing she was being sarcastic, and only displaying her dry humour.

Keira left the next day, and I was about to start pre season with Chelsea. Sam was currently on holiday, gallivanting across the USA with Kristie. Australia lost the semis to Sweden, and fell short by one to the USA in the bronze medal match. I felt awful for Sam. When Australia beat Great Britain, I was rooting for her to win. I wanted the Matildas to place as they never had before. But, sometimes, things don't always work out in your favour. I know that. I know that, all too well.

Note:
- sorry about no chapter yesterday, I was to preoccupied with the tillies game! When Kyah scored, I was full on screaming!
- also this kerrmew content is everythingggg
- anyways hope u enjoy