Chapter 52 - More History

Five Years Earlier

"Juliette! I will need to speak to you after training," the City manager said, as I was about to go out onto the pitch before training. I was walking beside Keira, who gave me a funny look after he said that.

"What does he want?" Keira asked me.

"Not sure," I replied back, a pit in my stomach sinking deeper than before.

I couldn't think during that training. All the thoughts that filled my head were about what was going to happen. I hadn't eaten breakfast that morning either, and I knew it was going to take a toll. I was in the prime of my eating disorder. I wasn't putting on any weight, and instead I was losing the important muscles that were necessary for professional football. Keira knew what was happening, and she tried her best to support me through it. She did everything right, but unfortunately for her, there wasn't a lot that could be done.

I messaged my girlfriend before going to speak to the manager. I missed her terribly, and was struggling without her. She was currently in Portland, and I was in England. It was hard being in a long distance relationship, but that meant when we were together, it made the time even better.

Ettie: im scared

Hayley: what about? Is everything okay?

Ettie: im not sure, my manager wants to talk to me and he looks pissed.

Hayley: im sure everything is going to be okay, but message me after

Ettie: yeah yeah, okay

"You wanted to speak to me?" I said as I walked into my manager's office. He was sitting at his desk, writing something on his computer when he looked up.

"Yes, Juliette, please have a seat." I sat at the chair he pointed towards, and my leg started to bounce. I was nervous, I could feel it.

"Is everything okay?" I asked him.

"Juliette, we all know you are a great addition to our team. You're one of the best players out there, and there is no denying that, but recently, all the staff have noticed that you're not fully committed."

"Sorry? Say again?" I questioned, confused.

"You're not committed, and that needs to change," he repeated.

"Can I ask why you say that?" I proceeded to say.

"You have had some 'physical' changes, let's just say, that have been impacting your game, and we need that to change."

"Uh..."

"You aren't committed to football, because if you were, you wouldn't be losing as much weight as you have been and you would be eating better. Juliette, if you want to stay at City, you need to start thinking about your teammates and the club, not just yourself." I stared at him, gobsmacked that he would even dare say that to me. I didn't want to have to tell him what I had been dealing with, but it seemed that it might be the only solution.

"I understand where you are coming from, but I've been struggling with an eating disorder recently, and that's why I have lost some weight. But, I've been working with my physiatrist and dietitians outside of the club, and I'm getting back on the right track."

"Juliette, stop with the excuses. Professional athletes own up to their mistakes, and don't place the blame onto other things. I expect you to be good by tomorrow and go back to the old Juliette. You can show yourself out." I sat in the chair, my eyes widening slightly before I stood up and walked out the door.