Chapter 56 - Australia

The 2022/2023 season was officially over and it was soon time to start preparing for the World Cup. We had an England camp before we were set to head to New Zealand for our first game, in Wellington. In our group, it was determined that we would play Thailand, Switzerland and Sweden. We were quietly confident that we could move onto the round of 16, however, some things are never too predictable.

I was excited to head back to Australia, for our second two games (in Adelaide and Melbourne.) Last time I was in Australia, I was with Hayley. It was the vacation of a lifetime, and I did truly miss it. I did truly miss her. But it's hard to describe the difference I feel when I'm with Leah. With Leah, it feels as if it is meant to be. It has felt that despite everything we went through, and despite the years of the miscommunication, we found each other. Although the timing was far from perfect, I knew she was. She was perfect for me.

"Camp starts tomorrow," Leah said to me, as we lay with each other on the couch.

"Indeed it does," I replied.

"And then the World Cup," she added.

"And then World Cup," I repeated.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm good," I said, reassuringly, "I'm excited for it. It's going to be the biggest one yet."

"I just want us to do something great, pull off a miracle or something," Leah said.

"Me too, it would be the dream to win a World Cup," I answered. This would be, possibly, my last chance. My last chance to win a major tournament. It was all I ever wanted.

We arrived at camp the next day, and when Georgia saw me, she ran up.

"Ettie!" She screamed, hugging me tightly, "I've missed you."

"Missed you too George," I said to her.

"I can't believe that we're going to another World Cup," Georgia said, "it just feels so surreal."

"I know, it really does, it really, truly does."

Georgia and I walked back to our room, and we lay on the beds, chatting for what felt like hours. I loved Georgia. She was someone that never shied away from her dreams, and always played like it would be her last. She gave me hope and ambition, and pushed me further than anyone else could.

"Ok," Sarina said in the conference room before our first training as a squad, "congratulations on being selected for the Lionesses' 2023 World Cup Roster." Everyone applauded as she said this. "I'm really happy with the depth of talent we have here in this room. Also a round of applause to our captain Leah, and vice-captain Lucy." Everyone applauded again. "Now, over the next few weeks, we are going to be preparing for the tournament. I want everyone to be giving everything to training and conditioning, because that is what wins us tournaments. I will also be playing around with combinations to see what works best, and how we can exploit other teams. Now, everyone, let's get started!"

Over the next few weeks, we trained and we trained hard. It was as if everyone was trying to prove something. Trying to prove that they were made for this team. For me, however, I was just trying to last. I was just trying to keep my heart in check, making sure I was able to perform my best without jeopardising my shot at playing the first game in New Zealand, and that game would also be my 100th cap for England.

"I can't believe you've played 100 games for England," Keira said to me, after training.

"Well, I've only played 99," I said to her, not wanting to assume I'd even play the first match, despite hoping I would.

"But 99 is crazy," she said to me, "Lucy only got her 100th a few months ago."

"Yeah, Luce has had a few injuries though," I replied, "I've been lucky to play most matches since I was 17."