Chapter 32 | escape

Y/n's pov

Eugene, Lizzie, and I were overjoyed as we sung along to the guardians of the galaxy: awesome mix from vol. 1 and 2. I'm shocked Eugene became so captivated with Marvel so fast following our marvel marathon a few months ago, but his love for Star Wars is still alive and well in him. As I drove, I observed lizzie singing her heart out, which made me grin, and eugene noticed it as he began teasingly nudging my arm, which made me glance at him arching his brows up and down, and I slipped my tongue out to him while being sly so lizzie wouldn't notice it, which made him laugh.

When the song "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5 began to play, I began to dance in my seat while being cautious because I was still driving to our destination. Lizzie put her hand on my arm, making me look at her as she enthusiastically sang the line "Oh, just one more chance to show you that I love you." with her hands pointing at me and starts poking my cheeks, making me laugh as we both start singing the lines "Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby! I want you back." God, I love her so much.

The three of us sang to each other for an hour throughout the drive, and we're almost at our destination, which is a surprise to the two of them. I'm not sure how they'll respond, but I'm hoping they'll enjoy it because Nicky and Katie assisted me with the surprise.

I thought about this surprise while I was still in the hospital because I really wanted to be creative again with my life, but I wasn't sure about it because Lizzie offered to help me (or surprise me) get a record label, but Nicky persuaded me that if I did get signed on my first record label and that career stressed the hell out of me, I could use this as a place to relieve my stress, and Katie agreed as well, which made me think about it more thoroughly. I requested the assistance of everyone, including Winn, who I invited again since he's quite helpful, and who, of course, agreed and even brought his colleagues to assist me. He said it was lovely how I wanted to surprise Lizzie since when we went out to dan dan noodles, he felt her gaze as if she was burning his head, which terrified him a bit. Because I am such a fantastic and supportive friend, I laughed at him and the memories from that meal with Lizzie and Aubrey. I understand that two and a half months is a short period of time, but Winn insisted on gathering as many people as possible so that we could finish the project on time, even though I told him we didn't need to rush.

I insisted that they be blindfolded before we arrived at our location, so I reached for two blindfolds from the center console.

"Where are we heading, y/n? Are we there yet?" Eugene queried as he took the blindfold from my grip; Lizzie did the same and draped it over her head, but not over her eyes, while she awaited my response.

"Y/n, you're not going to kidnap us, are you?" Eugene said, a sneer on my lips as I pondered a way to frighten him away.

"Of course not," I said quietly, "but I heard that HYDRA kidnaps kids who don't obey and asks too many questions. I heard they trap kids in their basement for years." I heard a sharp gasp from behind me as I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw him immediately put the blindfold over his head and cover his eyes. Lizzie was already staring at me with a sweet expression on her face when I giggled quietly and felt a hand wrap around mine. I looked to my side and found Lizzie was looking at me with a soft grin on her face. Before she covered her eyes with the blindhold, I flashed her a wink and a grin, and kissed her hand.

When we arrived, I pulled over to the side of the road and urged them one final time not to peek while texting Nicky that we were already parked. I looked around for a location that wasn't too crowded with other stores, so it was just the three of us and a few other people wandering about on a bright evening. I got out of the car and walked over to Lizzie's side, where I opened her and Eugene's doors. I lead Lizzie out first, followed by Eugene. I took both of their hands in mine and led them to the entrance. As I stood in front of the lonely yet fascinating slot facing the two, I instructed them to keep still. After a few deep breaths, I told them to remove their blindfolds, and they did so. I winced as I awaited their reaction, and all I saw was a mixture of surprise and bewilderment as they looked at what was in front of them. I mean, it's basically empty right now, but it'll have some designs at some point.

"I'm sure you're curious as to where we are..."

Lizzie glanced at me, puzzled, with her lips pursed.

"Well, I know I said I'd take you to the café tonight, but this gorgeous thing right here... is going to be a restaurant," I said as I took a big breath and gestured to the business behind me.

"It'sgoingtobemyrestaurant," I mumbled the words rapidly and cringed, fearful of their reactions.

"Wait, y/n slow down, I didn't quite get that," Lizzie said as she and Eugene moved closer to me before I responded, "It's... my... own... restaurant." I said slowly this time as the little boy smiled and looked at his mother, who was also taken aback by what I had just said, then back at me as he began jumping up and down, cheering, and hugging me.

"Y/going n's to own her own restaurant, mom!" he exclaimed, still leaping up and down, before Lizzie hugged me tightly. "I can't believe this is happening! What- How- When?" Lizzie stuttered as she drew back, waving frantically (which I thought was adorable), and I laughed at her antics.

"I made the decision while I was still in the hospital, and Nicky and Katie helped me."

"What about your music career?" she asked, concerned, and I replied, "I'm still going to do that. This is sort of like a side job, I guess? Something I can escape to if my music career happens to destroy me. I mean, it's not that fascinating to look at right now, but once it's done, I'm sure people will love it. Especially kids." And maybe geeks like me. I'm not sure, I thought. Eugene still had a broad smile on his face, so I wiggled my brows at him. "Is it for me?"

I knelt down next to him and hummed, "What do you think it's going to be, kiddo?" I whispered the last bit at him, offering a rather apparent indication. I mean, I've decided it's not going to be a typical restaurant; instead, it'll be a safe haven for geeks and kids of all ages who adore sci-fi, fantasy, and action movies. However, this restaurant appeals mostly to Marvel fanatics.

His eyes brightened after a minute of thought, as if he had a thought. As we both chuckled, he whispered it to me, not allowing Lizzie in on the chat. "Ten points for my little jedi!" I start teasing him, which makes him laugh out loud, as I take them inside the vacant restaurant and make Lizzie a coffee and Eugene a hot choco, not to mention their favorite doughnuts that I just got from my previous café, as I explain my plan to them.

-
a/n

oof she a business woman 👩‍💼💸
the next chapter is going to be about how I picture the restaurant 🤓

i changed the book's cover and my user from imnatashasmotorbike to wandanatfruitbasket yuhhh <3