Chapter 33 | nervous

Y/n's pov

Four weeks later

After I dropped Lizzie and Eugene off at the restaurant, I finished my samples for a UMG producer named Gomez Diaz, Lizzie informed me. I picked three of my greatest songs since I heard that's the minimum amount of demos a record company requires. To be honest, I'm a little scared. Even though producing music and performing is and always will be my ambition, I never imagined this day would arrive, and I never really thought this through, so I'm just trusting Lizzie and going with the flow at this moment.

I'm worried right now, but if I don't get accepted, I'll have something to look forward to: Halloween. My second favorite holiday is Halloween. Christmas comes first, but it's a little too merry and bright, but there's nothing wrong with it. Snow is one of my favorite things. The jingles, too. Halloween, on the other hand, is entertaining because you get to spook others, dress up, and trick or treat. It's already the second week of October, and I'm already seeing friends, families, and couples on the internet getting their costumes ready for Halloween, which makes me thrilled as well. I'm not sure if Lizzie is up for a challenge, though. I'm thinking about making her dress up like Wanda. Just thinking about that, she'll undoubtedly assassinate me. Perhaps we should all dress up like The Incredibles. Or maybe not.

I shook my head to clear my mind; when I'm worried, I tend to overthink things. Lizzie is driving me to the record label's office. Thankfully, Lizzie isn't pressuring me to speak; otherwise, I would have pulled her eardrum out. I can be rather chatty, when I'm anxious.

Lizzie grabbed for my hand as I clutched it, asking, "Are you sure you're okay?" I responded with a nod and a hum. "I'm a little nervous."

Lizzie's pov

"I mean, what if the samples I prepared aren't good enough for him?" she wondered, as she began to speak for the first time since we got in the car. I furrowed my brows together.

"What if I don't get signed in, then it will crush me, and I'll push you away again; what will happen to me if I-i don't get signed?? Hell, I may end up dead or something; what if today is really an unlucky day???"

I don't think she realizes we've arrived in front of the building, and I've come to a halt because her body has become noticeably stiffer as she glances at the building before returning her gaze to her lap, "What do you mean by 'today is an unlucky day?'" I asked, turning my entire body in my seat to look at her as she fidgets with her fingers. "I accidentally smashed my finger on the refrigerator door... I took it as a sign," she said softly, pouting, and I laughed softly, making her glare at me like a child.

"Y/n, I know this is a big step for you," I cupped her cheeks and said, "but sometimes in order for us to succeed we need to take a leap of faith. This one, this is your leap of faith. You just have to be yourself, and believe in yourself, okay?" She nodded slowly and smiled briefly before returning her gaze to the building in front of us and taking a deep breath. "Do I really have to go?" I said, giggling at her antics until I realized she was scared shitless.

"You'll be fine, I promise. If you get signed, we'll celebrate." "And if I don't?" I genuinely smiled at her and smooched her cheeks, "We'll still celebrate, for taking a leap of faith. I promise I'll make you feel better." She smiled at me and pulled me into a hug, which I returned and rubbed her back for reassurance, and she hummed softly, which made me smile delicately.

We backed up as she stepped out of the car, paused for a few seconds after taking a few deep breaths, then headed to the building. Before she entered the building, she returned my gaze, and I grinned and gave her two thumbs up and a huge smile, which encouraged her to do the same, laugh, and enter the building.

-

Y/n's pov

I'm in the producer's office, and my hands are sweating profusely and my heart is racing as if it wants to flee from my never-ending manic episode. Diaz is listening to my second demo, Happier Than Ever, which was played over his desk speakers and he appeared to enjoy it. I'm not sure if his brows were wrinkled in pleasure or disappointment, but he was tapping his lap and nodding his head along with the beat, so I assume that's a good indication.

He finished the second demo and provided me feedback on what worked and what didn't. My pulse was still racing too hard as I nodded and took notes in my brain.

As soon as he finished all of my demos, he began working on his computer, and the room fell silent, making me even more nervous. The word of the day is, without a doubt, nervous. When he finished typing, he removed the disk containing my samples and handed it to me, to which I said "thank you" before returning to my seat. He is deep in thought, his hands interlaced in his chin.

He hit a button on his computer, and a machine sound began to play, startling me a little. I hoped he wouldn't notice, but he did. "I'm sorry for startling you; that was my printer. Uhm, well, concerning your demos; I believe they may be improved." And just like that, I knew where this was headed. I'm not going to get signed in. So, I'm hoping Lizzie can find a way to cheer me up because I'm not going to be able to handle this.

"However, we urge our artists to develop in our firm." Oh. Oh?

"I'd love to hear more from you, Miss Y/l/n, and you may send them to me through email by the beginning of November. Here are the prerequisites that our company would want to hear from your material. Until then, we can schedule a meeting after we have more of your samples." He rose up from his seat and took the information-filled paper he had printed before shaking my hand, and I almost knocked over. I stood up as soon as I realized I had been looking at him for too long and shook his hands with a grin on my face. "Thank you! Oh, and you can just call me Y/n. Am I signed or..." He grinned as he pulls away before saying, "Oh, you're definitely signed, Y/n. Congratulations." I thanked him once more as I waved him off and returned to Lizzie in the car, trying to contain my joy.

"How did it go, baby?" I said as I shut the door and saw Lizzie waiting for my response with a grin on her face. "Lizzie..." I sighed, bowing my head and pursing my lips. I gave her a false sad expression and observed her grin change into a frown. "Lizzie, I got signed." "Y/n, I'm so-"

As I started chuckling at her antics, I gently grinned at her as she covered her mouth with her hands and practically screamed 'oh my god' over and over again. "I'm so proud of you! I knew you could do it!" she said as she hugged me.

We exchanged a few moments as we backed away, and I smiled and winked at her. "So where's the party?" I said, wiggled my brows, and she snickered and pushed me away. "Shut up," she said.