Chapter 9

MARCH 6TH

H A I L E Y

I went to bed feeling like an idiot and I woke up feeling like one too. 

And then I felt like an even bigger idiot looking at the painting that I made last night. I grabbed it and put it in my closet, not wanting to look at it for a second longer. 

I had plans with Reid today, I'm supposed to meet him at a coffee shop a few blocks away. Bruno is also going to be there, which is going to be my first time meeting him. As his best friend, I need to make sure he's with somebody that's good to him.

I got ready for the day and went downstairs to leave when my parents calling my name stopped me. I walked into the living room to see what they wanted, but the TV told me exactly why they called my name. The news reporter spoke,

It appears to have been a drug deal gone wrong, resulting in a murder-suicide. Last night at the Whitmore residence, Malcolm Bernard went there to deliver 5 pounds of cocaine. It's theorized that the 4 men there got into a fight, most likely about money. Allegedly Brian shot the two men in the head before getting into an argument with Malcolm. Malcolm was pronounced dead at the scene with a bullet wound to his chest. Brian was found directly beside him with a bullet wound to his head, and a gun in his hand. All 4 men had guns around the house and there were no survivors. 

I felt nauseous hearing that Malcolm was not only a drug dealer, but was also dead. I had no idea that he was involved in anything like that. It made me question everything I knew about him. 

"I know you two are broken up sweetheart, but I thought you should know," My mom said with a sweet tone.

I continue to look at the TV, not taking in her words for a moment.

But then I blink harshly. I nodded and forced a smile, "Thank you. I did want to know."

I didn't care for Malcolm anymore, he was a piece of shit. But it was still such a weird feeling hearing that somebody you used to be close with is dead now. Although, he was already dead to me. So that made it easier. 

I took a deep breath before leaving to walk to the coffee shop. 

Reid and Bruno were waiting for me outside of the coffee shop. Bruno was of equal height to Reid, but he had brown hair, brown eyes, and brown skin. I gave him a smile and introduced myself once I was close enough, "Hi Bruno! I'm Hailey."

"Nice to finally meet you," Bruno said with a smile. His voice was kind. 

We went inside and sat at a table, ordering coffee. I should really study once I'm back home, I have a huge test coming up. But I needed to meet Bruno. I didn't want to mention what I had just found out about Malcom and make this about myself when it's supposed to be about Reid and Bruno. 

Bruno and Reid talked a lot, and I just sat there and let them. They got along so well and seemed so happy together. Bruno seemed to treat him very well. 

Bruno asked me, "Are you going to Reid's party on the 13th, Hailey?"

"She better be," Reid answered quickly. "She's my best friend."

I laughed a little, "Of course I am. March is pretty uneventful, I don't have anything planned."

We continued to sit and talk until it was time for them to go. They were going to the movies, and even though they invited me, I didn't really want to be a third wheel. I gave them both a hug goodbye before starting to walk back to my house.

As much as I've been trying not to, I can't stop thinking about Aero. From strangers to friends, to back to strangers in a week. Maybe I should've stayed away from him like he told me to. But my heart and stomach still warm thinking about him.