Chapter 40

The sound of beeping woke me up, confusion flooding my brain. My eyes finally started to focus and I realized I was laying in a hospital bed.

"Hey," Aero's voice spoke gently. "How are you feeling?"

I looked to my left and saw Aero sitting in a chair beside the bed. I looked around, trying to remember what happened. My head hurt a little so I asked him, "What happened?"

"I don't know, I was hoping you could tell me," he said while putting his hand on top of mine.

I thought hard about the last things I remembered. I was with Reid, then I went to my moms. My mom told me about her tumour and then I started walking to go and get ice cream with Aero.

That man.

The man with the knife. I remembered now. I opened my mouth and I wanted so badly to tell him what had happened, but then I remembered his threat. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to tell him, so badly. But I couldn't risk his life like that, not when I might be losing my mom. I couldn't handle losing both of them. I lied, "Some guy tried to mug me but I didn't have any money on me. Then he hit me with something."

I looked to my right and noticed that a couple scoops of ice cream were in a cup. I looked back at him and asked, "Did you get ice cream?"

"It's for you. I got it a while ago but then it melted so I went and got some more. Is this one melted now too? Do you want me to go and get more?" 

I shook my head, "No, it's okay. Wait, how long have I been unconscious?"

"4 hours and 23 minutes," he responded quickly. "And 35 seconds."

I looked around again. Why would somebody want me to kill Aero instead of trying to do it themselves? Maybe because Aero is very skilled and could kill anybody who was attempting to kill him, but he would never expect it from me. But I would never hurt him, no matter how much money I was being offered. 

He started speaking and I turned my head to look at him, "I promise you Hailey that I will get every single security camera from that street, find that person and everybody who drove past you and didn't call 911, and I will kill them."

"It's okay, Aero. I'm okay," I try and calm him down. 

I could tell my words didn't completely calm him down, but they helped a little. He sighed, putting his elbows on the bed, "I'm sorry I wasn't there with you. It won't happen again. Nobody will ever do something like this to you again."

I gave him a small smile. But I couldn't smile for long as I remembered what was happening with my Mom. I needed to talk to somebody about it, I needed to talk to him. I squeezed his hand before whispering, "My mom has a tumour."

His eyes widened. He got up and I scooted over in the bed so he could lay beside me. He asked, "Is she going to be okay?"

"I don't know," I responded truthfully. "She said they can't afford the surgery."

"I'll pay for it."

His face was so truthful and I could tell he would pay for it in a heartbeat. But he's already buying us a $600,000 house. Since he's done being an assassin he isn't going to be making hundreds of thousands of dollars a month anymore, I don't even know if he could afford it. Unless there's some other way he's going to be receiving money that I don't know about. 

A doctor suddenly walked in and said, "Hailey Romano! You're awake. Sorry I didn't come any sooner, I wasn't aware."

"Is she hurt anywhere?" Aero asked him.

The doctor shook his head, "No, she's okay. But you should still rest for the next couple of days, it was a pretty hard hit. As long as you stay in bed for the next few days, you'll be fine."