Chapter 45

JANUARY 25TH

I walked with my hands in my jacket pockets, being grateful for the sun being out even if it's cold. Being 23 feels no different than being 22. 

"We should come back here again in the summer," I smiled at Aero who was walking beside me.

He shrugged, "You're just saying that because I kicked your ass when we went ice skating yesterday."

"That was unfair! My shoelaces weren't as tight as yours," I replied as he started to laugh.

I bumped into him gently as we continued to walk to do the last thing before we flew back to Philadelphia. I had saved this for last because it only felt right, and because I wanted to delay it. But I couldn't delay in anymore.

We walked onto the bridge and stood in the middle of it, leaning against the railing and looking at the water below us. Aero placed a hand on my lower back and said, "We can come back in the summer. Whatever you want."

I smiled at him, placing a quick kiss on his cheek. I turned back to face the water, taking a deep breath to prepare myself. 

I pulled Reids ashes out and held them in front of me. I found it only fitting to scatter his ashes in the place he wanted to visit most, Amsterdam. 

I held them close to me one last time. It was a very bittersweet moment, but I knew that this is what he would want me to do.

I scattered his ashes in the water, happy that he's finally able to visit Amsterdam.

Aeros hand rubbed my back up and down and I whispered to him, "I miss him so much, Aero."

"I know baby. I miss him too."

I leaned into his chest, wrapping my arms around his torso. I breathed in his comforting scent to try and stop myself from crying. I took a deep breath before pulling away, knowing that Reid would probably make fun of me if I cried.

Aeros fingers laced into mine and we started to walk back to our hotel room. Our flight was in a few hours, so we had to head to the airport now. We walked along the sidewalk, nearly getting to the end of the bridge before he suddenly stepped in front of me to stop me. He put his hands on my cheeks and pressed a long kiss against my lips.

I looked at him with a smile as he pulled away. I went to ask him what that was for when my breath was snatched from me seeing him get down on one knee.

He pulled a box out his pocket and opened it, revealing the ring inside.

A lilac coloured ring.

"Hailey Romano," He started while smiling, "I've been waiting to ask you this question for so fucking long. All I want in this world is you, and as long as I have you, nothing else matters. I could never imagine a world where you don't exist. Sorry, I sound like I'm rambling like a fucking idiot, I just love you so much. So, Hailey, will you marry me?"

Oh my god I'm going to need CPR. I feel breathless. 

"Yes!" I quickly answered him, and he wasted no time sliding the ring onto my finger.

He shot up, picking me up in his arms. I wrapped my arms around him tightly as my feet dangled in the air. I'm engaged!

We hugged and kissed for as long as we could until if we did it any longer we'd miss our flight. We got our stuff from our hotel before making our way to the airport. Aero really helped me get over my fear of flying on the way here by telling me, 'Don't worry, we won't crash. Unless we do and then we'll die.'

When I didn't appreciate his humour he let me sleep on his shoulder while he stroked my hair so that I could just sleep through it, and I plan on doing the same thing for this flight. Because of the time zone difference, we're going to land in the afternoon in Philadelphia.