Chapter 31

H A I L E Y

A knock came from the front door, making me roll my eyes. I'm trying to watch my garbage TV show in peace. My class got let out early today, so I went back to Aeros and have been watching TV in his living room ever since. I almost screamed in excitement seeing that he got me my favourite ice cream.

Or at least I hope it was for me because I've eaten it all now.

I threw the spoon into the empty ice cream container and placed it on the table in front of me. The person at the door knocked again making me mumble under my breath, "Jesus, have some patience."

I looked through the peephole, confused seeing 3 men standing there all in black. Yea....I'm not gonna open it and get kidnapped.

"Hailey Romano?" one of the men called out as if he could sense that I was there.

My eyebrows lowered. How does this guy know my name?

He said ordered, "I'll give you 5 seconds to open the door, sweetheart."

Now I have even more questions. I shift back and forth uncomfortably. 

"And if I don't?" I asked.

A smirk slowly formed on his face, making me take a few steps back from the door. He spoke sinisterly, "Well, you didn't lock the door when you got home. So I guess we'll just walk in."

My eyes widened and I quickly ran forward to lock the door when it swung open, all 3 of the men walking in. I turned and ran to Aeros office, praying that he would hopefully have a gun in there somewhere. I wasn't sure if I could use it, even if I could find one. I don't know if I'm capable of shooting somebody. 

I shut the door behind me and locked the small lock on the door while frantically opening and closing drawers to try and find something that I could use. The door was jumping on its hinges,  the men on the other side throwing their bodies against the door in an attempt to get it open.

Tears started to form in my eyes out of frustration. I couldn't find anything and I felt so useless, which I hate feeling. 

Deciding that I couldn't just hide somewhere, I went over to the window and opened it to jump out. The door screamed on its hinges and I knew that after one more hit it would be on the ground, and I didn't have time to jump out and run away. I kept the window open and ran to Aeros desk, crouching behind it, hoping that they'd think I went outside.

A loud noise from the door made me jump as it fell onto the ground, but I remained crouched behind Aero's desk.

The mans voice called out, "We aren't going to kill you, Romano. Just hurt you."

Wow. Thank you for that, I feel so much better now.

I held my hand over my mouth so that I could be completely silent. I listened to their footsteps as they entered the room, my heart feeling like it was in my throat. One of them said, "Did she fucking jump out of the window?"

The other one sighed. I heard them walk out of the room, my chest feeling 100 times lighter now. I remained exactly where I was, not making a sound. 

I gasped as I was grabbed by my hair and forced up onto my feet. The man pressed a gun against my stomach and said, "Here shouldn't kill her, right?"

"It might...I don't remember," a different one answered him.

He shrugged, "Ah. Let's find out and hope for the best."

I shut my eyes, not wanting the man to be able to see me cry. I jumped as a gunshot went off, but jumped even more when it was followed by 2 more. I slowly opened my eyes and saw the three men now dead on the ground, Aero standing in the doorway.