Chapter 30

I stood in my bathroom with all of my tools, ready to get this bullet the fuck out of me. I knew guns and killing well enough to know that there hadn't been any damage to any of my organs and that I'd be fine once I got the bullet out and stitched myself up.

I grabbed the forceps and put them in the wound, clenching my teeth as I did so. I grabbed the bullet with them and ripped it out, dropping it into my sink. I stitched it up, cleaning it before putting gauze on it. It wasn't bad, but it could've been.

I'll get Alessandro to send me one of Lorenzos recent phone calls. 

I stared at the blood in the sink and the gauze against my stomach. The pain didn't even bring me close to crying. I've only cried once in my life, at my moms funeral when I was 10. I haven't shed a tear since then. 

My phone rang against the counter. I picked it up, "Hey, baby."

"Hey! When are you coming to pick me up?" Hailey asked quietly. "Reid finally fell asleep."

God, I love the sound of her voice. It's heaven to me. 

"I'll come get you right now sweetheart."

She asked excitedly, "Wanna go get some ice cream?"

I smiled to myself, "Sure. Whatever you want."

I ended the call and put my shirt back on before getting in my car. I pulled into the driveway and she came outside instantly, like she was waiting for me. She got in and said, "I invited Reid to come with us to Amsterdam for my birthday."

"Yea?"

"Mhm," she smiled.

I felt so happy seeing her so willing to face her fears. I held her hand as I drove us to the same ice cream place we'd been to before. I didn't want to worry her, so I didn't tell her about getting shot.

We walked into the shop and I paid this time,  exactly how I like it to be. We sat at a table and she asked me, "What are you and Reid doing tomorrow?"

"He wants me to take him somewhere downtown. We won't be long, I wanna spend the fucking day with you."

She smiled, making my heart lift. I added, "I'll buy him some shit to cheer him up. Why'd he and Bruno break up?"

"I don't actually know, he didn't say. He just said that it was because of something stupid," she shrugged.

I nodded and watched her eat her ice cream with a smile. Tomorrow I'll sneak away from Reid to call Alessandro and get him to get me that phone call. Theres only 8 days left, so I need to fucking know if the voices match. 

Sniping on the 28th is a small price to pay for learning who wants to hurt Hailey. 

We finished and drove back to my house, and I thought about planting more lilacs. Her face always lights up seeing them and it makes me so fucking happy. We entered and went to the kitchen, because I was going to make us dinner. She instantly started trying to help so I picked her up and threw her on the living room couch.

She started complaining and calling me a jerk because I won't let her help, but when I told her that her snacks from the drive were in a bag in our bedroom she stopped and instantly ran over to go get them.

I flipped the food in the oven as she called out in a worried voice, "Aero?" 

I dropped what I was doing and instantly rushed over to where her voice was coming from. I stopped dead in my tracks.

Shit. I forgot to clean up the bathroom.

"What happened?" she asked me, concern filling her brown eyes.