Chapter 14

MARCH 11TH

H A I L E Y

I am going to jump out of my window.

He cornered me so that I couldn't escape.

"Hailey, just think about it. The Romano's have been running his company for over 100 years," my dad tries to convince me once again to take over his company.

I moved my eyes over to my window. I don't think I'd die if I jumped out of it....

"I don't understand why you're being so stubborn about this," he continued, his tone showing his frustration and lack of understanding. 

I rolled my eyes, "I'm telling you no and you aren't respecting that."

"Because this is what you are meant to do! Why would you rather be an accountant than a CEO?" he questions, and I feel as if he were belittling me and what I want to do with my life.

I stood up from my bed in frustration, "Because! Because. Thats all the explanation I need. I just don't want to, and thats a valid enough reason. I'm not taking over the company."

"Stop acting so self-righteous! Don't you care about our legacy?"

"No."

A scoff came out of his mouth, and I just shrugged. At least I'm being honest? 

My mom suddenly appeared in the doorframe and said to my dad, "Why don't you go downstairs, honey. I'll talk to her."

My dad rolled his eyes, but he listened. He exited my bedroom and once he was fully out I held two middle fingers out to where he had been standing. My mom smiled and walked over to me, "He's just stressed. He's retiring soon and was counting on you to take it over, so now he's going to have to find somebody else."

"I don't want to take it over, Mom," I confided in her, knowing her reaction would be different than my dad's. 

She nodded, "I know, I understand. He is just a very stubborn man."

I sighed, sitting back down on my bed. Now that there was tension in the air here, I didn't really wanna be here. She gave my arm a squeeze before exiting my room, and I got up to get changed. Once I was dressed I grabbed my bag before exiting my house, going to go for a walk to Central Park.

I can't wait for it to be April. I love the weather in April.

Once I got to Central Park I took a seat on a bench, letting my skin soak in the sun. It wasn't cold but it wasn't hot. I just wanted to be alone right now, my dad is driving me crazy.

But of course, I couldn't just be left alone. I felt somebody sit down beside me, but I kept my eyes shut. The familiar man's voice spoke, "Having a rough day?"

I opened my eyes and saw Ricard sitting next to me. I sighed, "Maybe."

He nodded his head, "Wanna talk about it?"

To Aero. Or Reid. Not him.

"No."

"No worries, we don't have to then. Where's Aero?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. We do this thing where we don't text each other."

"Romantic," Ricard said, making me actually turn to face him.

A smile appeared on his face. He had dark brown hair and eyes, looking to be in his mid-30s. He was wearing a business suit which made me ask him, "Why are you wearing a suit?"

"I was on my way to a meeting when I saw you sitting here. I thought you may want some company," he shrugged.

I raised my eyebrows at him, "I hope you know how weird that seems. No offense or anything."

𝐀𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara