Chapter 43

A E R O

I stood face to face with the man who ordered the hit. I recognized his face, but I never heard his voice. I looked him up and down, wondering how, wondering why, wondering what the fuck Hailey ever did to him. 

"Bruno," I spoke.

He nodded his head. He sighed, "I planned on keeping my identity a secret forever, but I figured you would probably get it out of Alessandro eventually. He doesn't really have a backbone."

"Alessandro knew?" I asked with lowered eyebrows.

"He figured it out on the 29th and came to my house. I thought you two had a little bromance thing going on, so I thought he was there to kill me. But to my surprise, he wanted in on it. He's got a creative little mind to him. He wanted to make things more interesting, came up with the idea to offer Hailey the exact same deal and see which one of you kills the other first."

They offered her the same deal? I look at her out of the corner of my eye and the blood that stains her dress. 

Alessandro. That motherfucker.

I shrugged, "Well, I killed her first. So give me my fucking money."

He walked over to me, closing the gap between us. He said, "It's already been wired to you. Sent it the moment I saw you stab her. You're good, Black. I'll give you that - you even had me fooled, I thought you loved her."

His eyes fell onto Hailey who was lying unconscious. I don't respond to his words, I just ask the question I always wanted to know, "Why'd you want her dead?"

"That fucking bitch was always taking Reid from me. She was always his first choice and he would always pick her over me. Now he doesn't have that option," he said in a villainous tone with a smirk while slipping his hands into his pockets. "I would never truly have Reid with her in his life - Reid's love for her was too strong."

"Do you seriously think Reid is still going to want to be with you after learning about this?" I question.

"Oh, Reid will never know. You see, the police are never going to know who did it. He will live his entire life wondering what happened to his best friend, and I'll be his shoulder to cry on," he smirked.

I asked, "What's stopping me from telling Reid?"

"Why would you do that and ruin your relationship with your brother? You're an assassin, Aero. You kill people even if it's at other people's expense, but you would gain nothing by telling him besides ruining your reputation of being the best assassin."

I need to end this conversation.

He needs to get out of here now, before she wakes up.

I nodded, "Noted. Pleasure doing business with you."

He smirked before turning around and exiting the room. I walked over and shut the door before running over to the kit I had put in here last night. I walked over to Hailey and picked her up, placing her down in the office chair. I started to stitch up her stab wound, even though my hands were shaking in fear.

I stitched it completely before putting a bandage over top of it. As I put the kit back in the drawer I heard a soft noise come from her as her head lifted up. I stared at her as she slowly opened her eyes but I felt too scared to say a word. 

Her eyebrows lowered seeing me but once she looked down and saw the blood stained on the front of her dress she quickly shot up, fear circulating in her brown eyes. She tried to run out of the room but I ran in front of her, blocking her way. I whispered, "Hailey you need to be quiet and stay in this room."