Chapter 44

Aero and I quickly searched room after room, there being less people at the party now due to the gunshots. Aero kept his hand on mine and refused to let it go the entire time we looked.

"Do you think he left already?" I asked Aero after finding yet another empty room.

Aero shrugged, "I have absolutely no idea."

I sighed and we exited the room, walking down the staircase to the main floor. It was empty but my eyes caught somebody about to leave through the front door.

I yelled, "Tomas!"

He stopped and turned around, and I ran up to him. I asked him, "Have you seen Bruno?"

"My dealer?"

"Bruno is your fucking dealer?"

"Yea, he's a bunch of peoples. Dude is fucking loaded from it too. But why are you looking for Bruno? There were gunshots, I'm fucking leaving," he said before turning around.

I grabbed his wrist to stop him, "Just please tell us if you've seen him. Please."

His eyebrows knitted together. He pulled his arm away and said, "I'm sorry, but we aren't friends Hailey. I don't owe you any answers."

My hand slapped him across the face, making his head jerk to the side. I almost yelled, "Can you stop being an asshole for like 5 seconds and just fucking tell me!"

His hand went to the side of his face that I slapped and he started to rub it. He made an annoyed face, "He went up to the roof, bitch."

Aero started to take a few steps towards Tomas at this, but I put my hand on his chest to stop him. I looked up at him and told him softly, "We don't have the time to spare."

He reluctantly nodded his head and I started running with him up the stairs. I thought it was going to take a while to find the ladder to the roof, but Aero went straight to it. He told me, "I came here last night to put a first aid kit and see what rooms have cameras. Noticed this ladder while I was looking around but didn't think too much of it."

Aero started to climb up it before me but when he was about halfway up he stopped and looked down at me, "Be careful climbing up."

I nodded and he continued climbing, and I followed close behind him. 

Once he got to the top, he held his hand down for me to grab to help me up. Considering my stitches hurt like a bitch every time I moved, I was fast to take his hand. 

He pulled me up and the wind instantly started whipping my hair around. The sky was dark and the night was cold. The wind was strong and the sound of tree branches ruffling together could be heard from below.

I looked around and saw the silhouette of a man at the edge of the roof. Aero wasted no time starting to go towards him, but stopped in his tracks when Bruno turned around with a gun.

He kept it pointed at me and spat angrily, "You're supposed to be dead."

His eyes moved to look at Aero, "So much for being the best assassin in New York."

Aero and I stood still since he kept the gun pointed at me. There wasn't much we could do, he has a weapon and we don't. So I did the only thing I could think of to give Aero an opportunity to get the gun from him.

"You did all of this for fucking nothing," I almost spat. "All this shit so you can end up with Reid, and now that can't even fucking happen!"

He chuckled, "Yes, it can. Because Reid is never going to know."

"Reid is dead," I said, the words feeling disgusting in my mouth.

His eyes widened and his body tensed. He shook his head, "You're lying. Reid isn't even here."