Chapter 24

MARCH 19TH

H A I L E Y

Aero didn't let me drive because he is a jerk and is intimidated by the fact that I can drive like Dominic Toretto.

So I've been sitting in the passenger's seat for the past hour. There's still an hour and a half left until we get to the hotel. I was playing Candy Crush on my phone but then Aero seemed sad that I wasn't talking to him so I shut my phone off and have been annoying him ever since.

I asked him, "Favourite dog brand?"

"Brand?"

"Yea. You know, like type?"

"You mean breed?"

I thought for a second. Brand? Breed? I don't know, they sound similar so I'm sure one of them is probably right. I drawled out, "Sure."

He answered, "Chow chows."

My face lit up, "Those are so cute! Do you want one someday?"

He thought for a second, his tongue running along his lip. He looked at me, "Yea, I think I do."

"And what would you name it?"

He shrugged, "I don't know."

I've always wanted a dog. I've always been unsure about children, but positive about dogs. I want 15. Or 100. Or whatever the legal limit is. Is there a legal limit? 

I'm so excited to be staying in a hotel. I hope they have room service, I've only ever seen it in the movies. I hope he likes the art museum that we're going to, I want him to have a good time. This entire trip is for him - I just hope it makes him happy.

He pulled into a gas station and I already started plotting ways to get into the drivers seat. My plans were cut off by him asking, "Do you want anything?"

My stomach rumbling slightly made me want to buy some snacks. I nodded my head and got out of the car, watching him fill it up with gas. He told me, "You can go inside and get some shit. Here."

He handed me a 100 dollar bill and I raised my eyebrows, "I don't think I'm going to be buying 100 dollars worth of snacks."

He shrugged, "Well now you have the option to."

I smiled and entered the gas station, going straight for the snack aisle. I was obviously also going to get stuff for Aero. I grabbed some bags of snacks and a few drinks. I walked over to the cashier and gave them a smile while putting all my stuff on the counter.

They started scanning it and said, "There's no way somebody your size is going to eat all of this stuff."

"What is that supposed to mean," I looked at their name tag, "Banjo?"

This guys name is seriously Banjo?

He shrugged, "Just an observation." 

I don't like to be underestimated. I am now going to eat every single thing I bought when I'm back in the car just out of spite. He put all of my stuff in bags for me and I paid, still having a lot of money left over. 

I put the rest of the money in my pocket and carried the 4 full plastic bags out of the gas station. As I walked out a man was blocking my way, so I tried to step around him. He stepped in the same direction as me so I stepped right again, but he did the same. I looked up at him, "Move?"

The corners of his mouth turned up in a smile, "Lot of shit you got there. You got a lot of money on you?"

I have Aeros $47.53 in my back pocket.