Agent Carter

3:10 p.m. 12 February 2014

"You should be proud of yourself, Peggy." Steve speaks softly to the older woman who is lying down sick in bed.

I watch Steve as he looks around at Peggy's family photos by her bedside table, showing her with her husband and children. A smile makes its way on my lips as I see how happy she was in one of the photos peering down at her daughter.

"Mm. I have lived a life. My only regret is that you didn't get to live yours." Her voice delicate like the rest of her.

Steve expression changes to sadness, I subtly wrap a hand around his and giving it a small squeeze.

It obviously didn't go unnoticed by Peggy Carter as she allows a small smile to etch across her features.

"What is it?" She asks him, her attention immediately back on his.

"For as long as I can remember I just wanted to do what was right. I guess I'm not quite sure what that is anymore. And I thought I could throw myself back in and follow orders, serve. It's just not the same." Steve confesses, causing Peggy to let out a chuckle.

"You're always so dramatic. Look, you saved the world. We rather...mucked it up."

I snicker at her comment at his dramatics, getting a wink in return from the woman.

"You didn't. Knowing that you helped found SHIELD is half the reason I stay." He confessed sheepishly.

Peggy takes Steve's other hand in her fragile one before she starts speaking.

"Hey. The world has changed and none of us can go back. All we can do is our best, and sometimes the best that we can do is to start over."

She turns her attention fully on me now, making me feel just a bit intimated from her gaze.

"So, who's this pretty lady sitting next to you?" Her smile relaxing me with how friendly it was.

"Ah, this is Andrea Delgado, my best gal." Steve motions to me with a wink, "Andrea this is my other best gal, Peggy Carter." He introduces, scooting over a bit for me to be able to shake Peggy's hand.

"It's lovely to meet you Ms. Carter. You are a legend." I smile softly.

"Oh thank you dear, but I am afraid I'm not the hero here." She kids, looking over at Steve with a wink.

"Nonsense, you have helped the world more than it knows." I smile, glad to know she still has her great sense of humor.

"Why thank you. You know I have always hoped that Steve finds someone to help him regrow, especially in this new life for him." She confesses, keeping my hand still wrapped up in hers.

"Oh, well-" I wasn't sure what to say to that but she beat me anyways, turning to Steve.

"Now if you don't mind Rogers, I would love to have a chat with my new girlfriend here, privately." She raises a brow as she emphasizes on the word 'privately.

Steve raises his hands in mock defense as he scoots back from his chair and heads outside, making a lame excuse that he 'had to take a phone call anyways.' I laugh at his response and obvious lie, yet, felt a sense of relief when he looked happy about us talking on our own, like he was hoping we would get along.

"So, tell me dear. How long have you been in love with that dork out there?" She hums, a mischief smile on her face.

"I, uh... beg your pardon?" I stutter out, a bit shocked at her allegation.

"Oh come on, I can see it in your eyes when you look at him. The way you immediately comforted him when he got upset."

I felt the blood rush to my cheeks at her comment, I mean heck if Nat and Peggy could notice my feelings in the super soldier, does that mean everyone can?... Even the man himself?