The Assassin and the Time Machine

10:20 a.m. 14 June 2013, Avengers Tower

I woke up to a slight startle as I just see a head full of red hair laying beside me on the bed, the television on, and playing some discovery channel on spiders softly through the room.

I look at the redhead in confusion after looking at the clock, it displaying ten-twenty in the morning in a deep blue. I wonder what the heck she was doing here as she was in my room instead of on a mission, as it was a Tuesday.

"Um, good morning?" I rasp out, sitting up on the bed.

"Morning kid." I get in response from the woman she just continues to watch the documentary.

"What... what are you doing here? In my room exactly?"

"Well, I had the day off so I decided to just wait for you to wake up so we can go out."

I just stare at her in confusion before I decide to get up and head out of the room and to the kitchen. I look around to see if I can spot a certain blonde super-soldier or his shield to indicate he was here. Unfortunately, I saw neither and just carried on to make my morning cup of tea. I hear footsteps walking over then the sound of one of the bar stools scooting back for the person to sit down.

"Steve not here today?" I sigh.

"Nope, sorry kid. He had a mission a couple of hours before, he didn't like the idea of waking you up, so he asked me to stay down here to keep his lover company when she woke up." The grin is evident in her voice.

I roll my eyes at her teasing but turn and pass her a cup of coffee, getting a grateful nod in return.

"So just you and me today, huh?" I speak after taking a sip of my drink.

"Yep, you got that right."

Before I can ask her what the plan was for the day I was informed by the AI living in the building that I was getting a call.

"Hello?" I question into the ceiling, wondering who was calling.

"Good morning doll." I hear the sweet symphony of my super soldier floormate.

"Morning, I thought you were out on a mission?" I ask confused.

"I am, the team and I are just waiting for our signal but I wanted to call really quick since J.A.R.V.I.S. informed me that you woke up." I hear him pause, the sound of shuffling filling the speaker before his voice breaks through again. "I wanted to apologize that I didn't wake you to let you know that I was leaving like I always do, but I knew you have been having a hard time sleeping lately. I will let you know when we are on the way back."

I try to ignore Nat's teasing as I stand there listening to the man talking.

"It's alright Stevie I understand, just maybe a note next time so I am aware?" I quip the idea.

"Noted." There is some shuffling again till his voice breaks through. "Alright doll I got to go now, have a good day and I will call you later if I can."

"Alrighty, talk to you later. Good luck!" I smile.

"Love you!" I hear Nat mimic my voice as she shouts at the ceiling.

I let out a squeak at the evil woman, throwing a scrunched-up napkin at her face as she laughs silently in her seat.

"Thank you. Love you too doll, alright bye."

Then it's silent by the sound of the phone disconnecting after the light chuckle rings out. I look over at redhead slowly, my face flushed at what the man had said before he swiftly hanged up to continue with his job.