Mission Mishaps

7:20 a.m. 18 August 2013, Avengers Tower

I wake up to my phone going off like crazy. I groan as I lift myself to grab ahold of it, blindly answering the phone and putting it to my ear.

"Hello?" I spoke groggily into the device.

"Hey, kid?"

I sigh as I realized it was Tony who woke me up. "What do you want Stark? You better have a damn good reason on why you wo-"

"I need you to get to the tower as soon as possible... it's your Capsicle an-."

I froze at his words, my body waking up instantly from the uneasiness and hesitancy in his voice.

"I'll be there in ten." I blurt, cutting the man off before I end the call and quickly rolling off my bed, almost ending up on my face in the process.

I dash around my room as I quickly slide on a pair of grey leggings, a white oversized shirt (which belonged to Rogers) then slip on a jacket and my crocs. Not bothering or in the mood to deal with actual shoes.

I quickly snatch my keys off the hook and grab my helmet on the coat rack underneath where we keep our keys. I shove my helmet on in a hurry as I jump on my bike, kicking off as soon as it started up.

•••

I rush out of the elevator as soon as the doors cracked open. I rush around the corner and up the stairs to the lab looking for anyone to tell me what was going on. I groan out in frustration when I find the lab empty and head back down to the open level.

"Hello?! Anyone around?" I call out to the empty room.

"J where is everyone?" I call out to the ceiling.

"Well, miss Mr. Stark is actually-"

The noise of the elevator doors opening cut the AI's voice from finishing his sentence.

"Stark!"

I call down at the man as I see him walk out, I rush down the stairs to greet him halfway.

"Hey kid, glad you came. Come on." He motioned his head over to the elevator as he opened an arm out to wrap it around my shoulders.

"What's going on? Is Steve alright?? What happened?" I start rambling on as the billionaire wasn't saying anything besides asking the AI to direct us to the medic wing of the tower.

We step out of the metal box just a minute later, as the medic wing was between the open level and the common room.

I am quick to follow after Stark as he hurries down the hall until we get past glass double doors to be greeted by Clint and Nat, who's in a leg cast with an annoyed expression.

"What happened?" I ask the redhead as soon as we got close enough.

"Something went wrong. It was supposed to be a simple get in and get out mission this time, but we got set up." She starts, looking up from her hands. "Um, they started shooting at us with these weird weapons. They were almost alien-like, and well Rogers-that dumb idiot- decided to play hero and push me out of the way when they shot at us-me, and well he got hit pretty bad."

I just nod, taking in all the new information. "Um, what about- what about you? How did you get hurt then?" I stumble over my words as I motion to her right leg.

"When Rogers pushed me away I fell down a flight of stairs." She shrugs like it was no big deal, bitting at her nails.

I just nod again as I'm still processing what had happened. I eventually turn back to the billionaire who was just standing beside me as he listened to our conversation play out.