Chapter 16 - The Return

Hu Bugui's expression turned grave. His gloomy-looking face was a little oppressive. He said, "Don't be foolish. Get in the car and leave here with me."

Su Qing patiently attempted to explain: "That friend of mine is old, and I can tell you aren't going to find the place anytime soon. Even if you do find it, they can fight it out and go to another place. I..."

Hu Bugui wasn't interested in listening to his nonsense. He pulled him by the arm, ready to lift him back into the car. Su Qing shut his mouth, thinking that he had not only come to a clash with this person, their views were simply irreconcilable. So he bent his head, ready to bite. The instant Hu Bugui let go, he slipped out from under his arm and ran.

While Su Qing was tall and long-legged, his strength was average. He hadn't gone far before Hu Bugui caught him. Captain Hu very much wanted to knock him out to avoid him pulling any more stunts, but when he saw the wounds on his neck, he felt there was nowhere he could strike—furthermore, he believed that Su Qing saying these things at this time was because his psyche had been harmed, leading to an irregularity. So he very mightily caught Su Qing around the waist with his arm, "picking" him from the ground like a radish. Then he held his shoulders, tucked him under his arm, and strode towards the car.

Su Qing's arms weren't free, so he began unconsciously to kick and flail with his legs, like a turtle removed from the water. But not for nothing had Hu Bugui "trained." Holding a man weighing over a hundred pounds, it was as though he was holding an inflatable doll. He was very much at ease, taking no notice of his struggles.

Then, face red with frustration, Su Qing began to curse: "Some fucking RZ Unit, you're all a bunch of miserable fucks! More like the lazy unit! A lazy bunch of turtles, squatting in a hole without shitting! You won't do your job, and you keep others from doing it, too. Hu, let me tell you, stand by and watch others suffer long enough and you'll be a turtle with its head stuck in its shell. Don't think you can..."

As he grumbled, he took aim at Hu Bugui's hand holding his shoulder. He slid down a little, stretched out his neck, and bit down, then let go in pain—villains had thick hides, but people's heroes snapped teeth.

Hu Bugui looked down at Su Qing and thought, Was this guy born in the Year of the Dog? In so short a time, he had already bitten him twice, as well as making another abortive attempt. He hesitated, then explained, "We can't let an ordinary citizen do such a dangerous thing."

Then he tossed Su Qing into the car. Before Su Qing could bare his fangs and get ready to pounce, he also quickly got in and closed the door, sealing off the little dog Su's path of escape with his body.

Su Qing was utterly exasperated. Seeing he was about to start the car back up, he reached out to grab Hu Bugui's wrist as he reached for the steering wheel. With his other hand, he quickly tore open his already ragged collar. His fair collarbones and the flowing grey seal flashed in Hu Bugui's eyes. He subconsciously averted his gaze and heard Su Qing say, "I'm an ordinary citizen? What fucking kind of ordinary citizen am I supposed to be? That's easy for you to say! With this thing, where can I run to? Am I supposed to have you people protect me my whole life? Have nightmares every night about what goes on in that grey house? Can I still go back to how it was before?"

This final sentence was truly too bitter. The rims of Su Qing's eyes reddened—he was aggrieved. He had been having a perfectly fine life when he had suddenly run up against these miserable things. Even if he normally acted like he didn't feel it, he was at any rate still human.

Hu Bugui was silent for a while, then quietly said, "I am truly sorry."

Su Qing forced back his bitter tears and sneered. He gave him a shove. "All you can say for yourself is 'sorry.' Anyone can say that. Get the hell out of my way, let me out."