Chapter 72: Picnic

Xue Xiaolu and Qin Luo were looking on as Fang Xiu picked radishes.

The strange thing was, wherever this mountain top that could cause any species constipation was located, it actually had a climate of year-round spring. To one side were simple farmers and bronzed guards, to another was the well-informed but pretending not to be Zhong Shiliang, to another were the mountain and the farm lands with spring year-around, to yet another was the little dark room full of all kinds of bizarre high-tech products.

The ST Training Course amply demonstrated to numerous training participants what it meant to spend money on a knife's edge.

Waking after that one night, Fang Xiu's spirits seemed to have improved considerably. Though he still now and then took a dig at Chang Dou, there was no more malice in his words or intentions. Perhaps time really could draw a life out very, very long. The originally deep marks, when stretched out too far, became shallow.

In twelve years of a closed loop, he hadn't gone mad, so he must have been a formidable person—Fang Xiu was, so presumably in some aspect, Chang Dou was also formidable.

The farmers who were there specifically to help take care of the training course's private plot watched them flail around with expressions of concern for the fate of the country. Fang Xiu bore it for a while, felt that he was pretty stressed, and finally fumbled his way to a radish so long that it was a little deformed. He quickly pulled it out of the ground, setting Xue Xiaolu twittering, and went to the creek to wash the dirt off the radish. There was sunlight shining on the water, gleaming. The creek was clear enough to see to the bottom. There were tiny fish unhurriedly swimming beneath the surface.

Fang Xiu rolled up his pant legs and sleeves and stood right in the water, stepping on the pebbles inside it. He narrowed his eyes with a slightly contented expression, looking like a vulgar old man who had been through all the vicissitudes of life. Chang Dou was on the bank helping to wash the vegetables. There was no saying what he was thinking. In that moment, he definitely wasn't a human; he had certainly been possessed by a bold leopard. Looking at Fang Xiu's back against the light, he scooped up a small handful of water and splashed him.

When Fang Xiu turned his head and gave him a sideways look, Chang Dou finally realized what he had done. He looked like a mouse that had just pulled a cat's whiskers. His face turned white from fear. He even forgot how to speak. After a long moment, with his lips trembling and his tongue short-circuiting, he finally said, "I...I...I did it on purpose."

Fang Xiu: "..."

Chang Dou realized that he had once again said the wrong thing. So he trembled even more. "I...I really did it on purpose!"

Lu Qingbai laughed so much he couldn't even keep hold of the firewood. Fang Xiu hurled the disfigured radish he was holding at Lu Qingbai. It brought a string of translucent water droplets with it. Then he bent down, scooped up a big handful of water, and splashed Chang Dou right in the face with it.

Chang Dou gave an "Oh!" and plopped onto the ground, covering his head as he flailed his legs to scoot backwards. There was a tearing sound, and even Xue Xiaolu and Qin Luo, picking vegetables not far away, both turned their heads. Chang Dou bounced off the ground like a ping-pong ball, his face as red as a monkey's butt. Covering his pants and bending over, he ducked behind Lu Qingbai, using Dr. Lu's not remotely stalwart figure to block the girls' sight lines.

Lu Qingbai looked at the big hole in his pants and laughed so hard he choked on his own spit and swayed unsteadily, coughing. Chang Dou used his fingers to pinch the very inconveniently placed hole and haltingly said, "S-stop looking."

Fang Xiu looked down with his face contorted and his shoulders shaking—he had just seen with his own eyes that on the revealed bit of Chang Dou's underwear was a bright yellow little duck.