Chapter 81

Su Qing wasn't at headquarters now. Everyone was already used to his unseen comings and goings. If they couldn't find him, they would call him or shout over the comms. If there was nothing urgent, they would write a note and put it on his door. Anyway, no matter what he was doing, he had his own judgement. He wouldn't hold things up.

This was the first time he couldn't be found when it was time to hold a meeting. All of the RZ Unit's core members assembled in the conference room. Only he was missing.

Hu Bugui looked at his watch. Su Qing's communicator was turned off, so he called his phone. This time, Su Qing actually picked up. Wherever he was, there was a lot of noise. He said a few words, indicating that he wouldn't be back very soon.

"Then we won't wait for you. We'll hold the meeting now. Turn on your communicator and listen in." Hu Bugui paused, then raised his head and glanced at everyone with their varying expressions. "Sit down, everyone.

"I trust that everyone is aware of the current circumstances," Hu Bugui said quietly after being silent for a long while.

Lu Qingbai looked infuriated. "What the fuck! Is there anything to fucking say about this? Is there? We'll see who dares to come tomorrow. Political investigation? I do what I should and stand upright. There isn't a single shameful deed in three generations of my family. What is there to investigate? Any thug that dares to walk through our door, I'll make sure he'll be eating through a tube for the rest of his life!"

Hu Bugui didn't speak. Xue Xiaolu tugged at Lu Qingbai's clothes. "Dr. Lu..."

Lu Qingbai smacked the table and stood up, paced two steps in place, then forced himself to lower his head slightly and take two deep breaths. He waved a hand towards Hu Bugui. "Fine, I won't make trouble, you go on."

"General Xiong can't be contacted now." Hu Bugui left out the subtext. He lowered his head and looked at the pale blue tablecloth on the conference table. He laced his fingers together and put them on the table. He sounded very even-tempered. He knew that General Xiong had been ready for this. It was even likely that he himself had chosen this road. "There's no use in anger or analysis. The most important thing is what we should do now."

Lu Qingbai folded his arms. He said, "The people we rescued from the exploding blue seal base didn't die on the spot, but a couple of weeks later, they all manifested typical symptoms of the 'sleeping sickness.' This infectious disease's rate of spread is very fast. You may all have noticed—recently the number of cases has been rising at a terrifying rate, but after those thirteen countries issued their joint statement, from yesterday to today, I've checked, and apart from a few individual locations, the various countries haven't added a single case."

"I've also noticed that," Hu Bugui said. "The countries that still had additional cases are those where the media has stood up to unequivocally question the statement concerning the 'god-making project.'"

"But it's only a public opinion trend. No one's said what the 'god-making project' actually is." Xue Xiaolu pointed at the newspaper on the table. "This opposition is too weak, isn't it? If this goes on, I think they'll also compromise within a week."

"If you said it, many people wouldn't believe it, anyway. The 'officials' of the world's other countries have all acknowledged Utopia's legitimacy." Fang Xiu frowned. "This is a hijacking."

It truly was a hijacking.

They weren't invaders of some country or some race. They were hidden among all kinds of ordinary people. They couldn't be guarded against. Even if you wanted to pick up a gun and resist, you would be at a loss for what to do.

They had used certain means to spread an illness called "sleeping sickness" through all of humanity at an unbelievable speed. At present no one knew what its mechanism was or how it should be treated. They could research, but there was no time. By the time they had worked it out, everyone in the world, like in Sleeping Beauty's castle, would have keeled over and died in this muddleheaded way.