Chapter 70-Another Lifetime

Xue Xiaolu suddenly let out a shriek. Qin Luo was all right, but Lu Qingbai wasn't a field agent to begin with. His psychological quality wasn't up to the mark. He was so startled by her shriek that he nearly fired accidentally. Then he followed Xue Xiaolu's gaze, and his face turned white—a body on a dissection table was swayingly standing up. Its skin was dull grey.

Then Lu Qingbai's gun really did go off accidentally. A bullet hit the edge of the dissection table with a bang. Sparks flew in all directions.

Qin Luo's hand was much steadier than his. She raised her hand, and a bullet entered the center of the standing corpse's forehead.

Then this dear friend, with its belly that still hadn't been sewn up, fell straight down, the back of its head knocking against the dissection table with a loud and clear sound.

Xue Xiaolu, her eyes open wide, shakily said after a long time, "What...what the hell is that? Dr. Lu, are you sure he's dead?"

Lu Qingbai's hand holding the gun wasn't calm, but his brain was very calm. He turned and beckoned to the other two. "Headquarters is unsafe. Let's get out of here."

He hesitated, then picked up a box of scalpels. With both hands on his gun, he walked in front, with Xue Xiaolu in the center and Qin Luo with her back to the two of them bringing up the rear. Incomparably nervous, the three of them left the treatment center. The moment they stepped out, Qin Luo thought that she clearly heard a low roar that definitely didn't belong to a human. She gave a start and glanced at Xue Xiaolu and Lu Qingbai in front of her out of the corner of her eye. She thought that the two of them were already nervous enough and didn't dare to say anything.

Their footsteps echoed emptily in the corridor. This passage seemed to be boundless. Each time they passed a fork in the road, the surveillance system camera over their heads would slowly turn as though it were alive, "watching" them walk by.

Dim cold light flashed over the mechanical screens.

The three of them were all very familiar with the headquarters. They went right downstairs, cautiously passing the lobby, heading for the main doors. Suddenly, Lu Qingbai stopped. Xue Xiaolu's attention was concentrated on either side of her. Seeing him suddenly stop, she couldn't resist turning slightly, too, and looking past Lu Qingbai. With just one look, she felt a chill go up her spine—the place where the main doors should have been had become a blank wall. All the doors and windows were tightly sealed. A clownish face hung where the doors should have been, malicious light flashing in its eyes. With her own eyes, she saw the corners of the bizarre clown's mouth slowly turn up.

Typical amusement park music suddenly sounded all around. There was even a sound of gusting wind mixed in, just as if there really was a merry-go-round next to them.

Then, as the smile of the clown on the wall became wider and wider, the music became slower and slower. The tempo stuck. Like a funeral dirge, each beat was heavier than the one before, and there was a faint strangeness in it.

The three of them stood together back to back. Footsteps sounded all around. Qin Luo turned her head and saw countless "people" swaying towards them. Each one had ashen skin. She saw the one in the lead clearly. It was sporting a bullet hole in its forehead!

Gunshots sounded. The front ranks of the zombies fell, only to be replaced by stronger waves coming towards them.

They shot and shot, and Lu Qingbai felt that there was something off. He felt a chill at his back and quickly turned his head. He found that Qin Luo and Xue Xiaolu were both gone—no, it wasn't that they were gone, it was that they had suddenly multiplied. At some point, all the zombies in the room had turned into countless Xue Xiaolus, countless Qin Luos, even...countless versions of himself.