Chapter 45-Plans A & B (Part 2)

General Xiong took out yet another cigarette and looked past two guards at the captured little mustache. "Is your Dr. Zheng still in good health?"

When he said this sentence, his tone was indifferent, as though he was just idly chatting. But for some reason, an enraged expression appeared on the little mustache's face, as though General Xiong hadn't been making small talk but had made an offensive remark about a female elder of his family.

General Xiong belatedly caught up. He nodded. "Oh, I see. It would appear that Dr. Zheng's health isn't at all good."

He looked up a little melancholically and blew a very elaborately-shaped smoke ring and slowly and ruefully said, "Ah, we're all old. Look at me, then look at Zheng Qinghua. Both of us are the sun around eight or nine in the evening—we've crossed the whole country's time zone, yet we haven't retired or gone to our rest. What good is a final struggle?"

The members of the RZ Unit were well-trained. Each stood by with a wooden expression, some holding guns and some holding the captive, turning a deaf ear to General Xiong's words.

General Xiong still felt he hadn't spoken to his heart's content, so, slapping a young guard nervously holding a gun next to him on the shoulder, he said, "Look—this Zheng Qinghua, I've always thought that he enjoys laying down the law for others, but he isn't suited to being a teacher. I told him so long ago. But he didn't listen; he insisted on being a spiritual guide to a crowd of young people. And what was the outcome?"

The young guard didn't know what to say. He could only divert part of his attention. Hands still holding the gun, he prepared to listen respectfully to the old leader's enlightening remarks: "The outcome was that he fostered a crowd of silly children who can't do anything but indulge in fantasies. Their own mothers wouldn't know them! Ah!"

For some reason, it seemed that after he spoke, someone not far away snickered. This startled the outer layer of guards, making them jittery with nerves for a long moment.

The person who had accidentally laughed was in fact Su Qing. He had dug up an old brick-colored coat from somewhere. Wrapped up in it, he was clinging outside the window like a big gecko, seeming to have melted into the background.

He had followed the individual who had changed clothes in the restroom, unexpectedly following him all the way to the conference room upstairs. He had watched with his own eyes as the man took down the team member who had hurriedly come to counsel General Xiong to relocate.

Su Qing was a little taken aback—it would have been suspicious for anyone to leave their post in such tense circumstances and come to the conference room. Su Qing was looking on with the cool eye of a bystander. From the moment the alarm had rung in the RZ Unit headquarters, the core personnel, the response personnel, the guards, and the members of all the other departments, had all strictly followed regulations.

Where there was a major question concerning national security, at such a sensitive time, demonstrating a tiny bit of suspicious behavior could incur a disaster for yourself and others. Reasonably speaking, how could there be a weirdo like this who would come dashing boldly into the conference room?

Su Qing, taking the cynical view, believed that this person had bad intentions.

He frowned. Abstracting the whole business into simple language, it was: "One person with bad intentions was shot dead in front of everyone by another person with bad intentions. Then a third person with bad intentions attempted to take advantage of the commotion to get rid of the old general."

While he was attempting to understand the whole business, he suddenly heard a huge sound. Su Qing nearly fell off the wall. He was startled. He hung on there and looked carefully—it turned out that after the third person with bad intentions was exposed, he "self-destructed."