Chapter 65-Chang Dou and the ST Training Course

On the day of Xu Ruchong's funeral, General Xiong attended in person. That day, before the RZ Unit had set out to look for Su Qing, Hu Bugui had already gone to Cheng Weizhi. With things at that stage, they couldn't be covered up, and there wasn't anything worth covering up anymore. In the end, Cheng Weizhi only sighed. "I always knew that he was a good child."

Hu Bugui said, "Me, too."

They had both known. Only Xu Ruchong himself hadn't known.

With the affair of the mysterious external energy crystal bracelet having reached this point, all the clues at last broke off. The whole headquarters was shrouded in an atmosphere of unspeakable stress. Even Tu Tutu felt it and restrained himself considerably, no longer going around everywhere annoying people.

Taking over Xu Ruchong's work was the technician who had run after Hu Bugui that day. His name was Chang Dou, the "dou" in "to amuse." He had eyes twice as large as other people's, and his eyeballs seemed to rotate several times faster than other people's. He only looked quick-witted; he was actually a little foolish—Su Qing, looking down at his pant legs hanging a full five centimeters over his shoes and the obviously unmatched socks under them, came out with this conclusion.

Chang Dou felt some trepidation about replacing Xu Ruchong. When he began to work, he was even more flustered. The first time he took part in a meeting of the core members, he knocked over a cup. He saluted everyone and huddled in a corner, seeming like a mouse that had walked into a cat's lair—when Fang Xiu looked at him with a gaze of scrutinizing severity, it seemed even more like that.

As soon as General Xiong walked into the conference room, he frowned—Qin Luo had her head down; Lu Qingbai was poking the conference table with a pen, destroying public property; Xue Xiaolu made no sound, either, picking at a bag of tissues. Chang Dou was at a total loss. Fang Xiu glanced at him and turned his head away impatiently. His stubble looked like he hadn't shaved in several days. Su Qing was supporting himself on a crutch, leaning by the window and smoking, cigarette after cigarette, nonstop. Hu Bugui had his fingers laced together, his elbows on the table; he was staring blankly at Su Qing's shadow stretched out on the floor.

General Xiong, standing at the door, cleared his throat heavily. Only then did everyone look up at him without interest. Then those who had their heads down kept their heads down, and those who were smoking continued to smoke. Only Captain Hu seemed a little better. He thought that neglecting their superior like this was no good, so he stood up and went to lead General Xiong in. He quietly said, "Everyone, we're starting the meeting."

General Xiong patted Chang Dou on the shoulder, smiling widely. It was as though Chang Dou had a spring under his ass. As soon as he was patted, he sprang right up. He tugged his clothes and wiped his nose. His face became red enough to heat an iron. Sweat even came up on his forehead. He stammered: "G-general Xiong, h-hello, sir."

Fang Xiu lowered his eyes. There was a bit of coldness at the corners of his eyes and the tips of his brows. He thought, This newbie really is a waste of space.

Beaming, General Xiong patted him on the shoulder two more time. "Young man, do your job well, and your prospects are boundless."—These were his regular lines. He had said them to the majority of the people sitting here.

Then he shifted his attention to Su Qing and walked towards him. "Xiao Su, how's the leg?"

Su Qing turned his head and smiled. Before he could speak, General Xiong rudely pinched the cigarette out from between his fingers, put it out, and threw it out the window. He educated him: "Little comrade, your living habits are really no good. Smell that smoke on you—you smell like grilled squid. If you indulge when you're young, what will happen when you're older? Look at me. I'm still hale and hearty, making contributions to my native land. That's because when I was young..."