Chapter 40-Hunter

A thousand shouted "Motherfucker!"s couldn't express the bitterness of Su Qing's emotions at this moment. He thought, Shit, Heaven's landed me in it!

Why wasn't the person in front of him that girl who could be seen through even while handing out flyers? Why wasn't it a special policeman who couldn't do anything but charge under his boss's orders? Why wasn't it that Xu Ruchong, with his glasses like the bottoms of bottles?

After telling his lie, Hu Bugui was no longer uneasy. He reached out to pick up the fake uncle whose arm he was kneeling on. He examined him out of professional habit, his eyes like a demon-reflecting mirror, sending out X-rays.

Then, amid this wealth of mental activity, Su Qing performed an action. He carefully stood up, but he didn't take Hu Bugui's hand. Instead he climbed up his arm. He did it by stages. First he raised his head, opening a pair of frightened and panicked eyes wide and looking towards the captured blue seal. When he looked over and found there was nothing the matter, he patted himself on the chest, but was still in no hurry to stand up. Instead he craned his neck, putting on an appearance of excited observation.

"Oh, hey, tsk-tsk..." He turned his profile, carefully altered to give the impression of age, towards Hu Bugui, and said in Mandarin thickened with a realistic southern accent, "In broad daylight! I was scared to death."

Hu Bugui frowned, thoughtfully looking this "middle-aged man" up and down. This man...really looked like him.

From the corner of his eye, Su Qing saw Hu Bugui's X-ray eyes still scanning him, so he disgustedly patted dust off his suit pants, not forgetting to look up and sneak glances to watch the fun, until the RZ Unit and the arrested blue seal had gone.

Su Qing saw the man he had gotten his eye on put his head down and concentrate on his food. He thought, I need to think of a way to throw off this venerable great Buddha.

So he turned with a smile that was both philistine and scrutinizing, warmly extending a hand towards Hu Bugui. "You're a policeman? An honor, an honor. My nephew just graduated from the police academy this year and doesn't know where to go to look for work. Your job looks pretty dangerous to me."

Hu Bugui hesitantly shook hands with him and smelled the nose-stinging fake cologne scent at his sleeve. Come summer, the mosquitoes probably wouldn't come near him.

Su Qing searched and searched through his pockets, finally turning up a very flashy business card case and picking a card out to give to Hu Bugui. Hu Bugui felt an even thicker scent assault his nostrils. He sniffed, feeling that his sense of smell was about to give out, a little dizzy from the fumes.

The title on the card was "Fresh Springs Hotel General Manager Li Meng." It was edged in gold, as though giving a demonstration of what it meant to be "golden on the outside, rotten on the inside."

Hu Bugui felt it would be awkward not to take it, but he quietly took a step back. When he stepped back, Su Qing shuffled forward, blinking dead-fish eyes not as wide as his eye bags. With an unspeakable perverse excitement, pointing to the door, he asked in a low voice, "That man just now, what crime did he commit?"

Hu Bugui's eyes were still roving over Su Qing's face. His initial suspicion at last slowly vanished. He felt that this man's features only had a faint resemblance to Su Qing's. The temperament and age were entirely inconsistent—if you said that age could be faked, then there was still...

Captain Hu watched the man grin. The smile twisted his mouth, making him look even more vulgar.

Why would he think that this old man looked like him? Hu Bugui inwardly gave a self-mocking bitter laugh.