Chapter 101

"Su Qing, Su Qing, you guys, stop, don't go any further!"

This was a narrow road in the countryside, not much wider than a one-way street. To either side were sparse trees, farmland, and wilderness.

Su Qing very naturally let the car slide a dozen meters, then stop. Then he jumped out and rolled his sleeves up high, revealing forearms with well-proportioned muscles. He had a cap gone pale from washing on his head. There were two buttons open on his dark blue shirt. Somehow the color of his skin had become very dark, and in a very natural way. He really looked like someone who was always out on the road.

"Why would it break?" he said, pretending to wildly rummage around under the car, pounding and clanking.

Just then, Chang Dou said into his ear over the communicator, "We've detected an enormous spatial field over there. You've already reached its edge. This spatial field is very strange. Ordinarily speaking, forcibly manufactured spatial fields are all unstable, for example, the one we tested with Zheng Wan. But this one is actually a stable field. The two spaces are merged. I have no way to determine what will happen if you two go in."

Su Qing's hand paused. He stuck his head out from under the car and yelled to Ji Pengcheng inside: "Hey, old man, how much farther is it?"

Chang Dou stared. Hu Bugui quietly explained: "He's asking how far they are from our target area right now."

"Oh...oh!" Chang Dou caught up, thinking that going out in the field was too stimulating. You had to have a quick brain. "Rough estimate, you're still around twenty kilometers from our target area."

Ji Pengcheng cooperatively stuck out his head. He had a cigarette in his mouth. He slowly said, "Huh? It's still early, why are you in a rush? Listen, kid, are you doing all right?"

Su Qing cursed and got up off the ground, then went to open the trunk, saying as though talking to himself, "Is the toolbox here?"

Chang Dou absolutely couldn't tell whom Su Qing was talking to. He went blank again. Hu Bugui had to stand next to him and translate: "He's asking whether you have some tool that can probe the spatial field."

Chang Dou was reverent. "Oh, there are some plans. Try setting off a gravitational probe and see what happens, it's in the pocket watch I gave you. Pick the gravitational probe release program, then you won't have to mind it anymore. If an unusual space or field appears, it will automatically roll over."

Under cover of the car, Su Qing quickly pulled out the pocket watch and pressed it a few times. An "oil droplet" as clear as water rolled off the side off the watch and fell on the ground, quickly breaking into several small granules almost invisible to the naked eye. They stopped for a moment, then simultaneously rolled forward.

Su Qing waited for the results of the analysis while wasting time tinkering in the back. Ji Pengcheng, who might have been incredibly idle, stuck his head out to tease him. "Listen, kid, have you found the toolbox yet? Or can't you fix it? If you can't, then say so. I won't make fun of you for being an inexperienced man too young to grow a beard. I won't tell your wife."

As Su Qing listened to reports of all kinds of data from the outside of the space coming over the communicator from the main engine, he took some time out of his busy schedule to stick his head out and raise his middle finger at him.

Chang Dou looked nervously at Hu Bugui. "Captain Hu, what kind of secret signal is that?"

Hu Bugui: "..."

From a neighboring field, a somewhat aged man with the look of a farmer walked out. He seemed to want to rest nearby. Ji Pengcheng shot Su Qing a look. Su Qing pushed his cap brim up and walked over carrying a wrench, familiarly putting on a brilliant smile. "Brother, let me ask you something, how far is the nearest place that can repair a car?"