Chapter 67-The Impassable Forest

"Everyone, please sleep peacefully." This was what the officer who took them inside said. "Learning to rest is another important aspect of training. I know that you are all elites. It's nothing to you to hold out for a couple of days without sleeping. Our training period isn't long, so in order to prevent this circumstance, I'm going to announce a rule—each night from 12 midnight until 6 AM the next morning, apart from using the toilet, you aren't permitted to leave your room. Of course, you don't need to worry that there will be a problem with your quality of sleep. Our rooms are all equipped with enforced sleep devices."

Then he saluted efficiently, turned, and left, leaving behind a roomful of RZ Unit members staring blankly at each other.

"What's an...enforced sleep device?" Su Qing felt like he was bungee jumping between AD 1850 and AD 2100; he was getting a little oxygen-deprived from it.

"A newly invented intervention therapy for insomnia," Lu Qingbai said. He plopped down on the bed and felt that the bed under his ass didn't feel especially sturdy. "It causes a powerful feeling of exhaustion and helps relax the mind. I've heard that the clinical results have been quite good. It's ready to go into production, except that the production costs are too high, so it can't be circulated on the market."

Chang Dou gave a timely yawn. Lu Qingbai glanced at him and sighed. "Comrade Xiao Chang, the enforced sleep device in this room clearly hasn't been activated yet. You're early for your role."

Chang Dou got halfway through his yawn, then forced it back. Blinking his watery eyes, he looked at him pathetically.

Before nightfall, Xue Xiaolu and Qin Luo went into the little compartment partitioned off by the curtain, and the others for the first time lay in this sort of multi-person bed. Before sleeping, they held a brief meeting concerning the question of "should we have our heads out or our feet out." Before they had reached a conclusion, the lights in the room suddenly went out, and all the windows shut automatically. High intensity light-blocking shutters came down, and the room immediately became so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Su Qing, just drinking out of an enamel cup with a red star drawn on it and "Serve the People" written on it, nearly poured the water into his windpipe.

Lu Qingbai said, "Now the enforced sleep device has been activated."

Just as he finished speaking, there was another yawn from beside him. Lu Qingbai: "..."

Fang Xiu coldly said, "Chang Dou, move over that way, I'm not used to being so close to others when I'm asleep."

Chang Dou immediately obeyed his orders reverently, striving to shift sideways. Lu Qingbai was just bending down to get into the covers, so his chin bumped right into Chang Dou's head. Lu Qingbai hissed. After a long time, he said indistinctly, "Chang Dou, is there something wrong with your balance? You're always bumping into things left and right. Aren't you worried about getting a concussion?"

"I'm...I'm sorry!"

"You knocked my glasses off." Lu Qingbai began to grope around wildly. "Don't sit down, Captain Hu, my glasses will break if you sit on them."

"I'm already sitting down," Hu Bugui said. "And you're lying crooked, Dr. Lu. You're kicking me."

As he spoke, Hu Bugui felt a faint buzzing drilling into his ears, as though it was drilling directly into his brain. This sound was bizarre and extremely subtle; when you listened closely, it wasn't there. It wasn't irritating. Instead, it made you feel relaxed. After a moment's daze, you felt as though you were immersed in warm water.

Suddenly, there was a click behind him, and the small flame of a lighter appeared. Hu Bugui's head cleared instantly. He turned and saw Su Qing standing up and feeling for the table. "I hadn't even put down my damn cup, and they turned the lights out just like that. They ought to at least give us some notice, no?"