Chapter 69-Precipice

How much strength could one person have?

Su Qing couldn't say. At any rate, he hadn't even been able to walk steadily before, but now he could use one hand that was slashed bloody to hold up two people.

From pain or for some other reason, his whole body was trembling. Having reached this stage, his mind was a blank. There was nothing left. It seemed that only one thought remained in his heart and soul—I can't let go.

The hit had practically set all of Hu Bugui's organs shaking. He nearly spat out a mouthful of blood. After a long moment, he unevenly said, "Let...go..."

Su Qing ignored him. It wasn't that he was so dedicated; it was that he really didn't have any surplus strength to spare to react to this instruction.

The blood flowing from his hand had already soaked his sleeve. It fell drop by drop like rain. Their surroundings began to shake violently. The great incline that it might have killed them to fall down suddenly collapsed—they had fallen into some kind of world where it seemed that mountains collapsing and the earth cracking came as readily as wind and rain.

The thorny branch Su Qing was holding began to grow at a speed visible to the naked eye, like some fearsome monster. It opened into a large net. The more blood there was in a spot, the faster it grew. When it touched a wound, it bore inward. Soon, Su Qing's whole arm was wrapped up. Then it quickly wrapped around both their bodies, like a suspended death of a thousand cuts.

He only then found that the huge earthquake just now had shaken the slope into a precipice. For some reason, in that moment, Su Qing thought that this place was very familiar, as if he had been here before.

Just then, Hu Bugui took a deep breath and firmly clenched his teeth. He desperately spread his shoulders and arms. The thorny branches binding his body immediately bit into his flesh. The thorny branches were like animals; when you advanced a step, they retreated a step. They matched their strength against Hu Bugui's. Sweat trickled from his forehead down his cheeks, dripping onto Su Qing's neck. Sweat and blood mixed. Su Qing heard him quietly say, "Just hold on a little. The pain will be gone soon."

From an extremely close distance, Su Qing looked at him in astonishment. "What...are you going to do?"

Hu Bugui laboriously reached out a hand and gripped a thorny branch hanging down above him. The thorns slashed his wrist. They caught a vein or an artery, immediately cutting through. A large quantity of blood spurted out. The thorny branches wrapped around Su Qing's wrist were stimulated. They immediately released him and threw themselves on Hu Bugui's wrist like mad.

Hu Bugui firmly put his other arm around Su Qing's waist. Su Qing's chin bumped into his shoulder. Hu Bugui's breathing became more and more strenuous and slowly began to tremble a little. Then his teeth began to chatter. He desperately spread his body again, using it to create a space inside this cage made of thorns.

"Don't be scared. This time I'm here." Su Qing could clearly sense that Hu Bugui's gaze was a little slack, but it still fell on him with a slight smile. The blood was quickly leaving his lips and cheeks.

"Captain..." Su Qing's throat moved with difficulty. For some reason, he suddenly began to tremble even more fiercely.

Hu Bugui seemed to be covered in blood, but there was a smile on his face that looked slightly relieved. He said, "This time I'll finally..."

In an instant, Su Qing remembered where this very familiar-looking precipice was. The sound of a bird's wings beating came to his ears. A bird of some unknown breed suddenly flew out of the precipice. As though it was just starting to learn to fly, it doddered a little at first; but it strove very, very hard to flap its wings, its head raised from beginning to end.