Chapter 64-Unspeakable

Su Qing nodded cooperatively. He was always very adaptable. Each time Hu Bugui's face became stern, he would bring out his "everything the leader says is right, everything is my mistake, I've made trouble for the organization" expression, the expression of a nice young man who had recognized the error of his ways. Hu Bugui had tried trusting him time after time, but each time he had found that while ideals were well-rounded, reality was bony.

Since he was little, Hu Bugui had believed that as a man, you should say what ought to be said and not say what ought not to be said; that promises couldn't be made lightly, that words had to be turned into actions; that what you said was binding. Of course, in all his years of striving through the elements, it wasn't as if he hadn't encountered glib-tongued people. But they at least tried, at least had objectives. They weren't like this person, who would make a promise to your face, then turn around and do what he was going to do anyway.

What was he trying to do by fooling people like this?

He had walked in keeping down his anger. When he saw this expression of Su Qing's, he couldn't resist letting his anger rise again—Hu Bugui thought that if this went on, that little shit Su Qing would certainly one day make him so angry he would turn into a firecracker.

Su Qing's eyes paused on Hu Bugui's hands wrapped in gauze. His eyes flashed. In a feeble voice, he for once hemmed and hawed: "Captain Hu, I am really quite sorry..."

Hu Bugui waved a hand to put a stop to his words. He looked straight into his eyes, the corners of his mouth tightening into a fierce arc. His features seemed to be carved out of stone. There seemed to be two fires burning faintly in his jet-black eyes. He often wore a long face, but Su Qing had never seen a Hu Bugui with his face pulled so taut. He weighed his expression and rather tactfully shut his mouth, waiting to be reprimanded.

After a long moment, Hu Bugui at last took a deep breath and began to speak heavily: "Su Qing, you have demonstrated extreme mistrust towards your teammates time after time. Not only do you attach no importance to discipline, you also attach no importance to us."

His voice wasn't loud, and he wasn't being very harsh, but each word he spoke seemed to carry a certain unspeakable force, densely pressing on his listener's head.

Su Qing thought, This time I've stepped on a mine.

He had just woken up. His face was as white as plaster, and there was an IV in his arm. The skin on his arm even seemed transparent. His soft hair fell messily on the pillow. He looked a little pitiful, so Hu Bugui didn't look at him, only stared into his eyes—it was as if he could only harden his heart when he looked into those eyes. Su Qing's eyes were very cool. Even if they curved in a friendly arc when he smiled, there was still that thin film over them; behind the warm-seeming film was stone.

When Hu Bugui met his eyes, he nearly felt that even his gaze was like stone. It wasn't that it was very cold, but there was still no warmth there. Even when he put on a fake smile, there would be unspeakable stiffness and cunning hidden in his eyes. He suddenly felt a suspicion, wondering whether this person could be as lost as himself, only a walking corpse, able to eat and drink, talk and laugh, but with blood that had already chilled, unable to be warmed.

"The reason that the RZ Unit exists is that we are a whole. Comrades-in-arms are people you can trust to have your back. If you can't trust us, then we can't trust you." Hu Bugui paused, then continued. The room was extremely quiet. Su Qing listened without making a sound. "You don't acknowledge this team, so no matter how great your abilities, I still believe that it's unsuitable for you to continue to work with the unit. Is there anything you want to say?"

Su Qing slowly closed his eyes. There were faint dark blue circles under his eyes. He looked a little weary. He shook his head in a very small arc.

Hu Bugui, a little irritably, wanted to put a cigarette in his mouth, but he found that he simply couldn't work his fingers, so he frowned and had to let it go. He continued: "You don't consider yourself a part of the RZ Unit. It's only that you had nowhere else to go and took headquarters as a temporary stopover. Whenever you want to leave, you pick up and leave. You're only temporarily collaborating with us. You can disregard all the unit's orders and arrangements..."