Chapter 32-The Great Triumphant Flight

Su Qing made a pinky promise with Tu Tutu and arranged to keep their plan a secret. Then he quietly returned to his own hospital room. In the grey house, he had learned patience and planning.

As he learned at an astonishing speed how to control his own body, Su Qing was allowed to leave the hospital room during the day and take walks outside. At first he would accede to the little chief's requests and play ball with him, but Su Qing only knew one way to play—throw the ball as far as possible, make the kid trot over to bring it back, then throw it again and make him pick it up again—as time went on, though Tu Tutu was little, he still understood that he was being taken for a dog and told to go fetch. The little chief showed himself very displeased with this disrespectful behavior and abandoned Su Qing for the sake of bothering the great beauty Xue Xiaolu.

Su Qing meanwhile took the opportunity to examine the RZ Unit's treatment area inside and out. He noticed that security was good here; anyone staying here could sleep free of worries and pass their old age in peace. But wanting to get out was a problem, so observing and plotting a route took quite some time.

Su Qing couldn't say clearly why he had to run. When he had been at the grey house, he had thought of getting out every moment. Though he had later returned to it, it had been for the sake of running again—he suspected that over time he had become accustomed to running and was unwilling to stay put anywhere.

But one thing was true. He didn't want to have any more contact with the RZ Unit.

While this place had food, drink, and beautiful women, he still felt increasingly stifled into a panic—especially each night, when Hu Bugui snuck over like a thief to look at him. Su Qing could sense his guilt. But did he himself care or not? He wasn't sure. After waking up clear-headed, he had said to himself again and again that in fact there was nothing you could call wrong about what Hu Bugui had done, and anyway, he was alive now, and Tu Tutu was hopping all over the place annoying the whole world—wasn't that pretty good?

Before, Su Qing had thought that life should consist of enjoying yourself while you could. While he had turned to a decent life now and wasn't such a scoundrel, he still thought that while a person was alive, there were many things that could just be muddled through, and it was better not to be too choosy. Otherwise, weren't you just making trouble for yourself?

But he still felt that Hu Bugui's presence was upsetting to him, especially after he woke up. Su Qing found out via direct and indirect channels that when he wasn't doing his proper business, Captain Hu was a human oyster, suppressing everything. Though he perhaps felt very unhappy, very guilty, he wouldn't go apologize directly in front of the "victim." He only quietly used his own means to make up for it.

Before, Su Qing had been used to people pampering him and spoiling him. He hadn't felt that there was anything uncomfortable about it. But having gone through a period of misery worse than death and then having nearly died once, he had ended up covered in calluses, simply a little iron-plated. Hu Bugui acting like this made him uncomfortable.

He thought that Hu Bugui looking after him this way, as though he was made of porcelain, was taking him for a useless person—since he knew that he had been useless, he particularly couldn't stand this.

Before, he hadn't thought that there was anything bad about it. Even when Guo Julin had resentfully advised him to consider his own future, it still hadn't moved his numb, lazy spirit... If not for being buried in the exploding house, Su Qing might have gone his whole life without understanding as deeply as he did now that however good other people were to him, however much they felt, they were still other people. Friendship had no price, but it also had no guarantee. At the critical moment, they could nevertheless turn around and go towards someone else; it all depended on them.