Chapter 100

"You!" Only when Kou Tong and Zhong Shiliang were left alone in the office did Zhong...we should call him General Zhong now, smack the table and stand up, glaring with displeasure at Kou Tong, sitting across from him slowly drinking tea and smiling. "You really are...really are...fearless!"

Kou Tong blinked and shamelessly said, "Don't be so adoring. You're embarrassing me."

Zhong Shiliang raised a hand and smacked him on the head with a document. Almost flustered, he said, "Look for yourself!"

Kou Tong rubbed his forehead indifferently, took the document, and read through it quickly. He lowered his eyes and laughed. "Fine, army headquarters really does have some of their people. They've stretched their hand out a little too far, getting in everywhere they can."

Zhong Shiliang glanced at him irritably.

Kou Tong met his eyes and very insincerely said, "Wow, I'm scared to death. Comrade Lao Zhong, as a frail and gentle mountebank, reading this really has me so scared my heart is fluttering."

Zhong Shiliang sighed and put his hands on the desk. "You tell me. I've received orders from above freezing all transfers between military regions in the near future. How am I supposed to get people?"

"Implement a state of emergency," Kou Tong said unblushingly.

"Bullshit! You're talking crap."

Kou Tong restrained his smile. His skinny body leaned slightly forward in his chair. He extended a finger and tapped on the document. "It's not crap. Look at this. Isn't this critical enough? Instructor, don't play dumb with me. I know that sitting in your position, even though the inside story about Utopia isn't very clear, you still know how things stand."

When he called out "instructor," Zhong Shiliang stopped dead, but his eyes softened slightly. Kou Tong lowered his voice. "This world is already beyond cure. Haven't you seen it? Even if it takes chemo, even if it's a life-and-death struggle and we have to die taking them with us, we still have to get rid of these 'cancer cells,' or else in the future, a person won't even be in control of their own emotions. Will there still be any need to live?"

"I know some things, and even if I didn't know them, Su Qing was clear enough just now." Zhong Shiliang slowly shook his head after looking at him for a while. "You can call it a life-and-death struggle, and I can call it dying and taking them with us. Even if you ask for my life, make me come die with you, I still won't say a word of protest. But while I can give my life, I can't give you the authority in my hands. If I make an exception, if there's some unforeseen incident, I couldn't make up for it if I had a hundred lives or a thousand lives. I can't undertake that responsibility."

"I know." A long time later, Kou Tong finally nodded. As he looked over, his eyes seemed extremely clear. Dr. Kou seemed to let his mind wander for a moment. Then he very quickly came around and sighed. "Instructor, this is a bad position to be in."

Zhong Shiliang laughed bitterly.

"And what if we could strike the snake at its critical point all at once?" Kou Tong suddenly said. "If we really could plan a Normandy landing?"

"We? You and...?"

Kou Tong laughed noiselessly. "This country, when it's in danger, always needs homeless, jobless hoodlums to stand forth."

Zhong Shiliang looked at him without speaking. Kou Tong stood up and stretched, then yawned. "I've always thought that if a person is unhappy living, it's better not to live. What do you think, instructor?—You're busy, I'll go talk over proper business with Su Qing and the others."

So the whole crowd of wanted individuals, with Zhong Shiliang's tacit approval and sheltering, openly stayed on at the ST Base, eating all-natural organic vegetables every day. Though they were still tired as dogs, at any rate they had improved their dogs' lives.