43. Summertime Blues (2)

Alyssa picked up the shot glass and looked at Shannon. She winked and tossed it back, slamming the empty glass down on the table.

"Fuck's sake, I can't keep up with you," the younger girl complained. "How are you not puking your guts up?"

"I don't know. I don't even feel pissed. I wish I did. Might stop fucking thinking about you know who then."

"Have you still not heard from him?"

"Nope, not a fucking word!" She signalled the bartender. "Can I get another one of these please? And whatever my friend is having. Shannon?"

"I'll have half a cider. I can't handle these shots."

"Sounds good. I'll have one of those too."

"Alyssa, I think you'd better slow down."

"Chill Shannon, I'm fine. Now where's Joel and Cherry?"

"Playing darts against those two young lads remember?"

"Oh yes, of course. Thank you," she said, tapping her bank card on the card reader.

"I'm sure Seb has a good reason Alyssa."

"Like?"

"Well I don't know but he wouldn't just forget about you."

"He would if he was fucking Sienna!"

"He won't be fucking Sienna! He loves you.

"Ok so why haven't I heard from him in sixty bloody hours?"

Shannon had no answer.  

"Christ, you're putting them away tonight sis," Joel said, appearing besides her at the bar. 

"Letting my hair down brother dearest.  All work and no play makes Alyssa a dull girl."

"Bacardi and Coke, and an apple and mango J2o please," he said to the bartender. 

"Do you miss drinking?" Alyssa asked randomly. 

"Sometimes, like when we have a good result and everyone's  celebrating, but my life is so much better since I stopped."

"Seb likes celebrating in other ways," she giggled.  Maybe she was slightly more drunk than what she'd thought. 

"Too much information,"Joel said. 

"He's getting fuck all from me when he gets back.  He's an asshole."

"Sure Alyssa.  I think you need to make this your last one.  Shannon, can you carry her drink?  Come
back to the table"

Alyssa shrugged and followed her brother.   She was beginning to wish she'd worn her trainers. She was starting to feel a little wobbly on her heels. Then again trainers just wouldn't have looked right with the claret midi dress she was wearing.

  Then again trainers just wouldn't have looked right with the claret midi dress she was wearing