48. From Paradise to Reality

Seb slotted the key into the lock and opened the door.   He and Alyssa walked in and he picked up the pile of post that Antti had put on the table for him.  He'd been keeping an eye on the place while they were away.  They dumped their suitcases in the hallway and headed straight to the kitchen. Alyssa filled the kettle up and turned it on at the wall. 

Seb looked through the mail and cursed as he saw one from his lawyer.  He opened it.  His suspicions proved to be correct. 

"That bitch!"

"What's wrong Seb?"

"Sienna's applied for sole custody.  If she wants a fight she'll fucking get it."

He took his phone out of his pocket and rang Sienna's number.

"What do you want Sebastian? If it's about the kids, go through my lawyer!"

"Sienna please.  Don't do this.  Look, we need to talk.    I'm sorry I hurt you. There's no need to use the kids to get at me."

"Hurt me? This about more than just that.  My own sister Seb?  A girl you used to babysit.   It's disgusting. How could you?"

"Please can I come over?   I'd like to see the girls.  And we can sit down and discuss things like two rational adults."

"You didn't care about the girls when you ditched us in Greece, or when you were swanning off on holiday with your whore."

"Sienna, don't talk about her like that!  And of course I cared.  Alyssa was in hospital, she'd been attacked.   You should have some compassion."

"For that little bitch?  She knew I still loved you.  Well she'll be pleased to know I don't any more. I hate you! And I hate her!  So you can both go and fuck yourselves.  You want to see the kids? Take me to fucking court like you threatened."

She hung up.  Seb sank onto a chair.  He put his elbows on the table and rested his head in his hands. 

Alyssa stood by the sink feeling useless. She felt like it was all her fault. She hobbled over and put her hand on his arm. He shrugged it off.

Alyssa felt sick. He was having second thoughts. She could hardly blame him. She should have known this would happen. She turned and headed out of the kitchen, she didn't want him to see her tears. He was already stressed out enough. She went into the games room and curled up on the sofa. Finally her tears began to fall. A few minutes later she heard the front door slam shut.

She stood up and made her way to the lounge. The DBX was just disappearing down the drive. She sank onto the sofa and sobbed her heart out. Who had she been kidding? This was never going to work. She couldn't see him parted from his kids like this. He would end up resenting her. He'd already pushed her away. Was this the beginning of the end? She loved him so much. Maybe if she wasn't around Sienna would relent and let him see the girls.

She picked up the phone to call Joel, ready to ask him if he could come and pick her up. She hesitated. Maybe she should wait and talk things through with Seb first. She put the phone down. She owed it to Seb and when it came down to it she just couldn't lose him. 

An hour passed. Then two. It was beginning to get dark. There was still no sign of him. She'd been trying to give him space but she needed to know he was ok. She picked her phone up and dialled his number. It went straight to voicemail. After she'd listened to his greeting she left a message.

"I just wanted to know if you're ok. I love you so much. Please come home."

She looked at her contact list and stared at Sienna's number. Maybe she could talk to her? Or would that just make things worse? She locked her phone and slid it into her pocket.