66. A Glimmer of Hope

The bass was thumping, the lights illuminating the room in several different colours. Aston Martin had hired the entire hotel bar to celebrate their victory in the constructor's championship. Nearly everyone was drunk already and the night was still young. It was already 1 o'clock in the morning but everything had started late as it had been a night race.

Alyssa took a sip from the brightly coloured cocktail that someone, she was pretty sure it had been Connor, had placed in front of her. She choked at the strength of the alcohol in it.

"Come on Alyssa, you're slacking. Drink up!" Joel encouraged her. She picked the glass up again and knocked it back in one, earning cheers from everyone around the table.

Normally she'd have been drunk by now with the amount she had consumed but tonight, no matter how much she drank, she felt almost completely sober.

She glanced across the room to the table where the management were sitting. Lawrence and Otmar were still going strong with their bottle of champagne.  She laughed as she saw Lance struggling not to throw up after downing shots with Esteban Ocon, who had joined the celebrations.   

Then her eyes locked with the beautiful blue eyes that haunted her dreams. Seb.  She felt her breathing get faster as they continued to look at each other. 

He looked so handsome. He was wearing the black skinny jeans she always liked on him and a black long sleeved button down shirt with the top two buttons left undone.   His hair was styled with gel and his stubble was the perfect length.   He was beautiful.  And he was no longer hers, if he ever truly had been. 

She tore her gaze away from him and started up a conversation with Connor.  She couldn't keep pining for Seb.  She had to move on with her life.  

Across the room Seb could not tear his gaze away from Alyssa. She really was the most beautiful woman, not just in the room, but in the world.   He felt a stab of jealousy as he saw her laughing at something Connor said.  He knew he'd have to get used to seeing her talking to other men.  One day he'd have to face her being with another man.  Marrying, having children.  

He carried on watching her as she stood up, heading to the dance floor with Shannon.  She looked amazing in a very short silver sequin dress.  Her lilac hair hung loose in soft curls.  He wanted so much to cross the room and kiss her. 

He froze as he saw Connor follow her onto the dance floor and wrap his arms around her waist.  He felt sick.  He picked up the open bottle of champagne in front of him and took a long swig. 

"I don't know what happened between you two but I know a love like you two had is worth fighting for."

He turned and looked at Lawrence.  "I messed up Lawrence.  I did something she cannot forgive."

"You'd never stop fighting ontrack.  Why stop fighting now? If you love her then fight for her."

"If only it was that easy."

"It is."  Seb's gaze turned back to the dance floor.  He bit his bottom lip as he saw Connor's hands wandering up and down Alyssa's back. He couldn't take any more of this. 

He stood up, pushing his chair back.   His eyes were filling with tears.   He had to get out of there.   He made for the exit, pushing past all the drunken revellers.   He exited the bar and almost ran across the lobby into the elevator.  Then his tears fell.  He sobbed until the elevator juddered to a halt.  The doors opened.  He ran down the corridor to his room.  He let himself in and shut the door behind him.  

                                       ***

Alyssa knew she should remove Connor's hands from her back.  She knew that she shouldn't lead him on,  but she wanted to hurt Seb like he'd hurt her.    She could feel his eyes on her.   He'd barely taken them off of her all night.