sixteen

"Answer the phone!" Niall whispers, gritting his teeth as my eyes widen.

"What? Are you kidding me?!" I shake my head, palms starting to sweat.

"Daisy, I'm gonna go. Answer the damn phone don't make this weird!" He says, shutting me up before leaving the room.

Being left alone with my thoughts and a buzzing phone, I weight out the pros and cons on answering. If I answer, I'm going to have to awkwardly explain why I had drunkenly texted him my frustration, and if I didn't, I'd be ignoring the problem as a whole and probably making it worse.

Without a second thought, I grab my phone, sliding it to answer.

"Hello? Jesus Christ," I hear him sigh in relief and I swallow the lump in my throat, looking for the right words to say.

"It's Daisy, but that's okay. Common misunderstanding," I blurt out, mentally face palming as my jokes have always seemed to come at the most inappropriate times.

I earn an honest laugh from him, making my heart beat incredibly fast. "No right, yeah sorry. Daisy, I really thought it was Jesus for a second. I had to double check," He plays along, making me smile.

"Um," I clear my throat as his laughter dies down, the silence louder than ever.

"Are you... did you mean what you said?" He breaks the tension.

"Yeah," I say awkwardly, my voice trailing off and I hear him sigh. "I promise that I wasn't planning on doing that... it kinda just happened and I don't know what I was thinking,"

"It's fine, I'm sorry." he says, making me furrow my brows at him.

"You're... sorry?"

"Of course I am, it was rude. I don't, I don't really know why I went about it the way I did, and I know it isn't any excuse for cutting you off with no explanation," He explains, still leaving me confused.

"Going about what, though? I still don't understand. We were fine that day, I had a conversation with you that day? I really don't know what you're trying to say and my head still hurts and I don't—"

"Hey, it's okay. I just..." He sighs, "I just get so bad at talking to people, it gets me anxious and worried and I always feel like I'm pushing it whenever we talk and that feeling just took over me. But I know it isn't an excuse for me to do that to you. You deserve more than that and I'm so sorry." He finishes, making me frown.

"You could've just told me," I pout like a child, knowing that he couldn't see the mess that so was. "It really hurt my feelings, and I was really sad," An intense wave of emotions bubble over me, too drunk to repress them.

"I know, and I'm really sorry. I'm just... can I be honest with you?" He asks, his tone laced with nervousness.

"Always be, please. I'd like that very much," I slur.

"...I'm really glad you came back to me," he says, knocking the air out of my lungs.

"You can't say that to a drunk person, I'll cry," my bottom lip wobbles as I hear a chuckle on the other end.

"Would you prefer I rang you again when you're sober? I'd also love to be the one to remind you of your texts in the morning," He teases.

"Don't push it curly, you're still on probation to me," I grumble, making his laugh harder.

"Does this mean we can talk again? You'll unblock me on everything? The whole nine yards?" I mumble out, balling my fists as I rub my eyes tiredly, trying not to yawn.