forty-one

"You look gorgeous," He says as I make my way down to the final step, his hands in the pockets of his day old coat and I blush as his head tips back.

"Thank you, I've been trying this new thing called showering. Apparently it's supposed to make you glow," I joke, slipping my shoes on and he snorts.

"Shut up smartass, I was trying to call you beautiful." He says, extending his hand out for me to hold and I do so, unlocking the front door and walking out with him.

We make our way into his car and he once again reminds me to put my seatbelt on, making me roll my eyes as I comply, hearing the click of the belt and finally relaxing.

"So again, my place, Brooklyn, aquarium." He runs through our agenda and I nod excitedly. "If you end up changing your mind we don't have to do any of that, we could just grab something to eat and I'll bring you straight home."

"Okay, it's highly unlikely though that I'd change my mind, so that's alright." I smile at him.

The drive to his place was quiet, low hums of Cherry Flavoured by The Neighbourhood playing on the speakers and I bob my head to the beat of the song. He moves over, rolling the window down before stretching his arm out to rest out of it, dangling from the car door as the outside breeze flows into the car and over his hair.

 He moves over, rolling the window down before stretching his arm out to rest out of it, dangling from the car door as the outside breeze flows into the car and over his hair

"I've been gettin' high, It's keeping me low now. I'm doin' it alone now, I think I gotta slow down," He songs, his head bobbing to the beat and I follow suit, his voice sounding like silk as the words tumble from his pink lips.

"I know I, I gotta take control now. But I sold my soul a long time ago, I feel like a ghost now." I sing along and he whips his head my direction, lips curling into a smirk.

"What? I love this song," I say, cranking the volume up.

"She sings too," he clicks his tongue. "What can't she do?" He smiles, looking straight onto the road and laugh.

"Don't get shy now, you sound amazing. Do it again, sing for me." He says, his eyes flickering to mine momentarily before turning his attention back onto the road. I loosen up, my shoulders swaying lightly to the song.

"Cherry flavored conversations with you, Got me hanging on. Down to Earth from all the waiting, take me somewhere beyond," I sing, rolling the window on the passenger side down to let the breeze my way, my brown hair flying out with the wind and he laughs as I try to tame it.

His laugh is contagious, and after giving up and simply tucking my hair behind my ears I laugh as well, the song fading into the chorus and we begin to sing it at the top of our lungs, laughing as another car passes us, the driver giving us a questionable look before driving off.

"You should queue Pretty Boy next," I suggest, "While I've got one sitting right next to me," I smile at him, he smiles back with a laugh.

"Shut up, you're such a flirt."