twenty

The air was getting colder by second in the busy area of New York City, as I walked across the open field on campus and start to feel my nose go numb.

Scrunching it slightly to make sure it wasn't going to freeze off or something, I tug on the beanie on my head to make sure it still covered my ears as I looked around in hope of finding my friends. Whipping my phone out, my cold fingers tap across the screen to send a group message to the three, feeling awkward as I stood around in the middle of the grass looking for them.

idiots <3

me
where are you guys?

princess niall horan
on the courtyard

me
no shit
where though?
cant find you guys :(

sarah jonesy
by the tree on the far end!
i brought a little mat
we can sit here during our next
free period too

me
okay okay
i'll look for it
see you <3

Hearing footsteps approach me from behind, I smile in hopes of it being Louis as he doesn't reply to the text chain between us four, thinking that he wasn't there yet. To my dismay, I don't get to turn around fully until I come face to face with a very dopey looking Liam.

"Oh, hi. Can I help you?" I ask, trying to sound polite whilst adjusting my coat as he stares at me like an idiot, his obnoxiously large letterman jacket hanging off of him. His sense of style and movements just screamed of a high school jock, and I never understood the appeal.

"Hey," he smirks at me, making me shift. He takes a step forward and my instincts make me take a step back.

"Can I help you?" I repeat, slowly dragging my words out this time incase he didn't catch them the first time, trying to make my confusion evident.

"Oh, no I just..." he stops for a second, looking behind me and I furrow my brows, looking back as well to see his posse of other athletes and cheerleaders (as well as a very tired looking Kacey reading what seemed to be another library book on architecture, at seven in the morning, I was thoroughly impressed.) on another mat spread across the middle of the open area.

"Just wanted to say hello, I've been meaning to talk to you more and get to know you but I've been too much of a chicken to do so, so my friends over there," he points to the large group and they wave at us obnoxiously, making me wave back shyly.

"Yeah, they dared me to do this," He forces out a laugh, making me force one out as well. Reciprocating the awkward atmosphere, I shift at him.

"Oh, okay, hello." I smile awkwardly, nodding at him.

"Do you mind?" I gesture to the awkward space between us, him blocking me as I finally zero in on the spot Niall and Sarah were seated at. They were both staring at me.

"I just, I kinda have to get going. My friends and I are gonna do some revisions soon for Chemistry, and I don't wanna keep them waiting," I lie on the spot, making him nod.

"Ah, I'll leave you to it, can I get your number though? In case we can't really talk on campus," He asks, crossing his arms over his chest and I gulp. Oh boy.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah sure, just know I never really reply, I'm not on my phone 24/7." Liar.

"Great!" He smiles at me, typing his number into my contacts list after I hand him my small red phone. Handing it back to me, he smirks, making me pull a sort of unamused-borderline disgusted frown at him on impulse, dropping it immediately I clear my throat.

"Right, okay. Good talk, I'm gonna go," I say awkwardly, speed walking my way out of whatever that interaction was as fast as I could.

"What the hell was that?" Niall laughs as I awkwardly sit onto the plush mat that Sarah had brought for us, and picking at the aglet at the end of my shoelace I shrug, pulling that same frown.

"Liam Payne just asked for my number, and I didn't have the energy to refuse. I did lie to him though, told him that I wasn't going to be on my phone all the time so he should really expect a reply."

"Liam? Payne?" Sarah laughs in disbelief, and I join her. "That's so weird, have you ever even spoken to him?" She laughs.

"Never," I chuckle, shaking my head. "Should've known though, Rowan told me before leaving that he was talking about me or something, I just didn't expect this to happen so soon? It's flattering I guess... but it's also Liam."

"Rowe told you?" Niall asks cautiously as Sarah perks up at the mention of her name.

"Erm, yeah. She told me last week, when we met up... for the last time,"

"The last time?" Niall questions me and I shrug.

"Definitely the last time, she called to meet me just to say that she was moving back to Boston," I laugh awkwardly. "It's whatever though, I told her not to call anymore. She kinda just wasted my time."

"Oh babe," Sarah coos, rubbing my arm, "I'm very proud of you for that, you're extremely strong."

I smile at her words, letting out a breathy laugh. "Harry said that too,"

"Harry?" she questions with a smile.

"Uh yeah, I was pretty upset with the whole situation so I called him and we ended up watching Pride and Prejudice. The one with Keira Knightly, and I totally embarrassed myself at all their hand holding scenes, he teased me about it," I laugh, recalling the memories of him ridiculously flashing his hands on the screen and mocking the gestures while simultaneously asking me if I really had found stuff like that attractive.

I did, by the way. He had a fucking cross tattooed onto his hand. As well as black painted nails and some rings.

It was very attractive.

"Daisy? Hello?" Sarah snaps her fingers in front of my face, catching my attention once more.

"Oh sorry, what was that?"

"Oh nothing, we just circled back to the Liam thing while you zoomed off. I just said it was weird of Liam to do that," she says, making me nod.

"It's extremely weird, and again... he's Liam," I frown.

"I know," Niall laughs, "The same guy who started a fuckin' food fight out in the hall last semester. I honestly don't know how he didn't get suspended for that,"

"Right? He started a food fight, got one of Kacey's friends injured then ran when the admin started looking for him. Then he only got benched for two weeks? Cant believe him," I sigh. Lying down on Niall's lap, I see Louis' figure start to approach us, making me wave at him lazily.

"Who're we talking about lads?" Louis says as he sits close by.

"Liam Payne, and how he asked for Daisy's number and she totally just gave it!" Sarah giggles, making Louis snort.

"Fuck's sake," he scoffs, "Why'd you give him your number? He's like, your average, stereotypical jock. Since when we're you into jocks?"

"I'm not," I wince. "It just so happens to be seven in the morning and I have no energy to reject some jock with an incredible ego," I roll my eyes.

"He'll get the hint anyway if he ever tries to take me out, and that's definitely when he's gonna hear the word 'no' coming out out of my mouth," I promise them that.

The bell rings, making us groan as we get ready for our classes. Parting ways with my friends as we head to our respective classrooms, I hear my phone buzz and I curiously glance down at it, eyes widening in confusion and disbelief.

iMessage now
917 555 2618 (unknown contact)
hey it's liam, hang soon?

Oh god, no.