twenty-three

"Don't you dare leave me alone with Liam or any of his friends," I mutter out to Niall as the game finishes up, the field clearing out and small chatter filling as students congratulate our school for another win.

"Yeah, yeah," Niall waves me off, Kacey on his other side and I notice his hand brush against hers. I roll my eyes at them as they unknowingly indulge in me being a third wheel.

"Don't worry Daisy, if Niall won't keep you away from the big and scary group I will," Kacey smiles at me, her tone is genuine.

"You know I never understood why you decided to just hang around them one day and never stop. I don't wanna seem rude, but you don't seem to like them very much,"

Kacey nods at me, smiling. "Yeah, I kinda hate them, they're not much of good people but it's nice to belong somewhere. They're questionable, but they like having me around and I think I like that too," she says absentmindedly, looking around the dim field as Niall and I shoot each other a concerned look.

"You can always hang around with us," I offer, making her giggle.

"That would be awesome, but you guys are just really cool it's kind of intimidating. But we'll see, if Niall isn't sick of me yet then I'd definitely have to take up your offer."

"I would never get sick of you!" Niall protests, making us laugh.

"Hey!" a girl calls out for us from behind, making us turn her way. She was pale, I thought to myself. She had the best complexion, a subtle gleam to her. Her lips were full and pink, long jet black hair pulled into some kind of a perfect high ponytail.

She was cute, and yet I had no idea who she was. I don't know why she called out for us either.

"That's Liam's friend," Kacey leans in, noticing my confusion. I nod my head at her, brows relaxing as the dark haired stranger came closer.

"Hi! What'd you guys think of the game?" She chirps.

"It was cool, Liam did well." Kacey nods at her. I nervously shoot her look and her eyes widen at me, signaling me to go along with it.

"Beatrice," she turns to me, stretching her hand out for me to shake. "You can call me Bee. You must be Daisy," She shoots me a look, one I couldn't quite understand.

"Come on, Liam's driving us but unfortunately there's only one extra seat. Niall, you drove here right?" She asks.

"I did yeah,"

"Great! You and Kacey can have your alone time and drive there, Daisy's coming with us, as per Liam's request." Shes says so nonchalantly, taking Kacey, Niall, and I by surprise.

"Sorry what?" I stutter, confused by it all.

"You're coming with us,"

"Yeah, no she's not. Tell Liam that we say thank you, it was very kind of him to offer to drive her only... not that we asked," Niall says, whispering sarcastically in the last bit. He pulls me closer to him and Kacey, arm gripping me protectively.

"Thank you, but I'm in charge of the girls." He says firmly.

"Oh," Bee says speechlessly. "Well, I guess that's that. Kacey, I'll just text you the location and all that stuff, gotta go." She stumbles, nodding her head awkwardly before making her way to Liam's car.

She says something to him as he stands by the door, waiting. "What's he saying?" Niall asks me and I shrug.

"I don't know, they're too far."

I could see Liam's brows knit together, confused as to why Beatrice walked alone. His arms stretched out in frustration as she spoke to him, and then suddenly his eyes went our way. Locking eyes for a split second with Liam, I find myself getting nervous and I quickly look away.