forty-eight

I ring Harry immediately, not caring that it was six in the morning on his end. I wait and I wait, pacing around the small corner I had secluded myself to outside in the parking lot of the precinct.

"Hello?" He finally answers, his voice is raspy and I sense that he had just woken up.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you up?" I ask him, gnawing on my fingernails and I hear him shift, getting up with a sigh.

"No it's okay, what happened? Are you okay Dais?" He asks me, the nickname pushing or off the edge as mg bottom lip starts to wobble again.

"Oh Harry," I say, my voice is shaky. "I've had... I've had just the worst few hours of my fucking life. And I'm sorry for waking you up, but I just... I—-" I get choked up, sitting down on the pavement as my eyes flicker to the yellow lights illuminating from the lamp posts, the the sky pitch black as the moon shines brightly.

"Can you distract me? Even if it's just for a moment, please?" I beg pathetically. "You could just... I don't know, just do anything, please. I just need you," I whimper.

"Okay," He says, shuffling a bit. "I'll be anything you need me to be, just tell me what you need." He says, his voice soothes me for a second.

"Okay," I say back. "Do you have any new songs?" I chuckle dryly at how ridiculous the question was.

"I..." He chuckles as well, "I do, actually. I was wondering when I could show you... and I don't know if this is an appropriate time..." He says awkwardly.

"Can I hear it, please?" I whisper, leaning my head ack onto the concrete wall, my phone pressed against my ear as I try to compose myself.

"Okay, but you can't tell me if you hate it... It's too early for me to have to handle rejection now," He jokes, making me laugh as I wipe the stray tears away from the corners of my eyes.

"I wrote this recently, it's called Half the World Away," he says.

"If you were a good friend, you'd always be there when I need i,t" He begins, his voice so soft, sweet like honey, and yet pained.

"Cause I'm on my knees and babe I'm bleeding
And it kills me that you're not around.." He sings, my heart clenching at the beautiful words he sang to me.

"So you're not my girlfriend, don't pretend that makes us nothing... Tell me you don't miss this feeling, I'm starting to see who you are. Cause there's a time, there's a place...And I'm always gonna hear your name. There's a right, there's a wrong, and now I see that all along."

"I messed up, you'll be fine... I'm going to sleep alone tonight. Never gonna be the same, 'cause you're half the world away..." I swallow thickly at the lyrics I was hearing...

"A story you'd heard, now you rest everything on these three words. Now I walk to you 'till my feet hurt...So tell me that's not good enough. And I started drinking, I don't know half of what I'm thinking. I'm deep in I'm scared I'll stop breathing...We've started to lose who we are"

He repeats the chorus, and I squeeze my eyes shut and pretend that he was right here in front of me, singing to me.

"I want you around, round, round. Are we going down, down, down? I want you around, round, round...Are we going down, down, down? I want you around, round, round, are we going down, down, down...Are we going down, down?" My heart shatters, imagining how these lyrics could've come to him.