33

Saturday, 05/10/1995

In a rush, I struggle up the last few stairs to the common room, hoping the ones I'm searching for have not yet left without me.

It wasn't my fault Daphne and Tracey took so long - or are still taking so long. They'll probably be crouched in front of that little bathroom mirror forever, chatting and laughing while Tracey braids dozen of gold-blonde strands to dozens of little gold-blonde braids into Daphne's hair.

They wanted me to wait for them, so whose fault is it now, that I am late, again?

I'm relieved as my eyes fall on Blaise and Theo, sprawled all across a small sofa near the entrance. Thank Merlin, they waited for me.

"You're early," Theo remarks wryly, wrinkling his nose at me as I reach them.

"Sorry," I shrug, sparing them my explanations, "you didn't have to wait."

"Oh, yes he did. I mean, you need at least two people for a date, am I right?" Blaise's smile at Theo is extra bright, extra gleeful, I'd say.

"No need to be ashamed Theo, there's a first time for everything, come on. Whatcha waitin' for? Ask her out already."

"Oh shut up," Theo finally calls out, "I already did, we talked about it, ask her!"

"If you did then why are you still here? You gotta go, guys! Y/n you don't know how sick and tired I am of hearing his drivel about you."

"Blaise!" Theo warns, but Blaise isn't intimidated by that. 

"Ugh, what if she doesn't like me?" He mocks, gesturing dramatically, "I bet she'd rather go with her friends."

"That's enough!" Theo leaps to his feet and off they sprint, playing their silly catch game, jumping over sofas and coffee tables, quite everything that gets in their way.

"Oh no," Blaise screams while bolting through the room, "what if she hates me, Blaise?"

A moment later Theo's back at my side, read-faced from the embarrassment, panting from the chase.

"He's talking shit," he claims.

"Oh, sure," I smile.

"Good to have you here." With his hands on my waist, he pulls me in, pulls me close before our lips meet.

. . .

In Hogsmeade, it's once again so crowded that you can hardly squeeze through the narrow streets.

Some people are hurried, some shove through the crowd rather roughly. But that cannot bother me now.

I am exuberant, I am having fun.

Many are enjoying the weekend, uplifted by the weather, that stayed beautiful, or just a bag of sweets from Honeydukes.

In face of this bustle, of the buzzing life around me, my problems seem more and more distant by the minute. They're just not here right now. Theo is here. But he's not a problem, no he's not.

It's all perfect. Hogsmeade seems so familiar, so wise, with its houses as old as the castle itself, with their ornate decorations and worn wooden beams. And the sun caresses the roofs and our faces, warming us with its soft autumn rays.

We talk much. His voice is soothing and trusted, my body warm and tingling.

We laugh much. His laugh I love, his face as he laughs, his face in general. His beautiful, beautiful face.

He walks close and I closer, feeling his hand in mine softly, feeling so, so drawn to him.

Realising, how good he makes me feel and how valuable that feeling is to me. How valuable the time is that he gives me, how valuable the distraction he creates.