38

Sunday 06/10/1995

"I wouldn't be concerned if it weren't for your health."

"I'm gonna be perfectly fine again, it's no big deal." 

"No, because it kind of is Y/n. I feel terrible, it's my fault."

"Theo."

The hustle of the busy corridor continues to buzz around us whilst we stop in our tracks. 

How do I make him understand?

"It's not your fault, silly. What are you thinking? It's nobody's fault." 

My heart grows both heavy and warm at the look on his face. He really did feel so bad about me. It is almost frightening to me. But it's adorable too. He cares.

"You can calm down, as I said, I'm sure everything will be much much better by tonight. Just forget it, don't worry about it."

"Don't worry about what, Theo?" Blaise's tall figure emerges out of the crowd beside us, "what are you two doing here? Not a very good place for conversation, isn't it? I have something to give you Y/n."

"What?" 

"It's not from me if that's what you think." 

"Is this a prank?"

Mistrustfully, I glance at the small vial he fished out of his pocket a moment ago. It looks old and worn, the glass as well as the cork that seals it. 

"I don't think so but I'm not sure, as I said: it's not mine. It's from Pansy."

Her name makes me look from the little vial in his hand back up at him again.

"Pansy?" 

"Your sister, isn't she?" 

"Yes, she is my sister, right," I struggle for a croaked-out response. 

What the hell? Did that herself? That's not what it looks like.

"It's strange, right? She waited up for me in the common room earlier. That was before breakfast and I was still half asleep, or rather half dead from last night. I was so confused, failed to ask her about it further. Sorry." "

It's fine, have you read what it says on there? Isn't there a label or anything?"

At that moment I get bumped into so hard that I nearly fall. Merlin, we really should've gone somewhere else to talk.

"Oh sorry, didn't plan on that to happen." Adrian awkwardly pats his hand on my shoulder.

 "Here are you Blaise, come with me we have somewhere to be, remember?" 

"Ah, I forgot, room of requirement."

Room of requirement? 

"Here Y/n, it's yours. I gotta go."

He tosses the vial over to me and I catch it. Then they storm off in a hush, leaving me and Theo alone in the busy corridor. 

Irresolutely, I let the vial disappear into my pocket. There will be time for it later. 

"Wanna go for breakfast?"

"I've been gone without a trace since last night, I need to find Daphne and Tracey. But do you want to hang out or something later? How about this afternoon?" 

"Quidditch practice. Sorry." 

"Some other time then." 

For a moment all we do is stare at each other, and it's not until then that I realise how empty it has become, how quiet.

"You should really go now, you're right, they must be worried." 

"See you around." 

Another brief moment of silence stretches out long. Eventually, I turn to go, dragging my steps down the corridor. I should better hurry.

"Y/n wait." 

A hand reaches for mine, whirling me around. His hand. Only a few inches of air separate our faces now. 

"What about tonight?" 

"What? Not busy on a Sunday evening?" I quip, grinning in anticipation of our date.

"For a change, no," he laughs, "so, are you gonna grace me with your presence?" 

"Sure."

"Great." 

His gaze rests heavily on my lips, the scant space between us is filled with tension. 

"Theo, bye." I remind him, and I would lie if I'd say it was an easy thing to do. 

His grip loosens until he lets go of me and turns towards his door. 

"My dorm at nine."

"As you please, sir."

. . .