60

Tuesday 05/12/1995

The sky stretches out far, all the way to the horizon - pitch black, stars strewn all across it like freckles across a face. And no matter how remote or ancient, Professor Sinistra seems to know their names, all of them.

"Now, if you look that way - to the east - there is this one, particularly bright star. You surely will be able to tell me its name."

I know the answer even before Hermione calls it through the freezing air.

"It's not a star, Professor," she remarks, her arm still up in the air. "It's a planet. Jupiter isn't the source of light that appears to shine so brightly, it's only reflecting the light of the sun and-"

"Miss Granger, I don't believe I remember having given you permission to answer. That's five points from Gryffindor."

"Serves her right," Daphne whispers, her hand wrapped around the cold railing next to mine. "Why does she always have to do this?"

"Daphne!" Tracey whispers back, from my other side. "What's it with you today?"

"What do you mean? I'm just trying my best to prepare for the O.W.L.s! I don't want my grades to drop. I don't want to miss anything. What's wrong with that?"

"Merlin, relax. They're not for another six months or something Daphne. Your grades are fine, don't you worry."

"Guys," I interfere, "shut up."

Professor Sinistra's strict gaze scans over us.

"Five points from Slytherin. What I have to say is certainly more important than what you're babbling about. Listen, girls, otherwise, I will ask you to leave."

With another disapproving shake of her head, she turns back to the Orrery in the middle of the tower. Wind combs through the open room harshly, tugging at hats and cutting through coats. Shivering classmates pull their scarves tighter, button up the buttons that are yet to button up.

"As you all hopefully know," the Professor speaks up again, she herself unbothered by winters rude presence, "Jupiter is closest to the earth every thirteen months. Logically, that's where it's the most visible, rising in the east, big and bright."

She's at the railing now, just like everyone here, head turned up to the sky. My eyes are on the ground, on the thick white blanket that covers the world many feet beneath us, when Tracey starts whispering again.

"Y/n?"

"Yes?"

"Let's get out of here."

I look at her who looks back at me from under the edge of her hat.

"I hate this class," she whispers, pulling on my wrist, "don't make me go alone. What would I be supposed to do? Read? God no."

"Calm down, I'm coming."

Surprisingly Professor Sinistra doesn't notice our sneaking off. Maybe because she chooses not to. Probably.

Even though I can't relate to her hating Astronomy class, I'm right behind her on the winding steps, at least as eager to get away from here as her. Sharp draughts carry voices and cigarette smoke up to us before we reach those to blame for them.

"Adrian, you told me you'd quit!" Tracey gasps indignantly, greeting the two of them.

Draco laughs, Adrian not.

"I'm working on it, I really am."

"Why aren't you up there?" I ask, remaining where I am - much different than Tracey who's already skipped down the remaining steps right into Adrian's arms.

"Why aren't you?" Draco shrugs, casting a glance at the others before locking eyes with me. "Let's leave."

I nod, "Follow me."

"Where to?" Chuckling he matches his steps to mine. "My room? Or Theos?"

"Ha ha, very funny."

"No, but, tell me. Where are we off to?"

"Nowhere in particular," I shrug, "I just didn't want you to take over again. You've been making some questionable choices lately."

"Rude."

Gently, his hand brushes mine before our fingers interlock. That way, I stop walking as soon as he does, stand close to him as his other hand finds its place on my waist.

"I'm going to kiss you. Would you consider that a questionable choice, too?"

"No," I croak, "sounds pretty much alright."

"Pretty much alright," he smiles, before dipping down to kiss me, fiercely.

"Your room?" I ask, after the kiss breaks.

What's the point in holding back? In acting like there was anything wrong in what I'm doing here? Because, for a change, there's really nothing wrong with it.

"Tempting. Will catch you up on that offer. Let's talk for a minute."

Slowly we stray on, down towards the dungeons, towards the Slytherin common room.

"You know, this ball Davis can't ever shut up about."

"The yule ball?" I giggle, hearing Tracey going on and on about it in my head.

"Hmm, yule ball, yule ball. We're going together."

"That a question?"

"Take it as a reminder."