57

Wednesday, 29/11/1995

Jupiters moons

Of all the planets in the solar system, Saturn has the highest number of moons, as we know, but Jupiter follows very close behind. It has as many as eighty, of which the most massive ones are called Lo, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto.

The special thing about Lo is

"Daphne, what's the special thing about Lo again?"

I turn to her, she's right beside me. It's quiet, as usual, here in the library. And, not uncommon either, Madame Pince flashes me a particularly evil glare as I speak up, hostile as always.

Daphne looks up. The neat bun she'd tied her blonde hair into an hour ago is now dishevelled, her lips chapped and colourless. Arithmancy seems to be taking its toll on her.

"Lo?"

"Jupiter's moon," I explain, only for her to correct me after. "You mean, one of its many."

She sighs, trying to tame a couple of loose strands hanging in her face.

"Lo's special thing is that it's covered in hundreds and hundreds of volcanos. Active volcanos. It's the most volcanically active world in our entire solar system. Was that what you wanted to know?"

"Right, thank you. How can you always know everything?"

A tired smile owns her lips as she returns her book full of numbers.

I feel bad. I should say something, talk to her about her letter. Why I didn't do it until now I do not know. Ignoring it seems so much easier for this moment. I know she knows I got it, read it and considered her offer. She knows I know her words were true.

And I am going to talk to her.

Really.

Later.

"Snow!"

Tracey is hurrying towards us, bundled up warmly. A big scarf covers nearly half of her face and a bobble hat sits low on her forehead. She's been outside. Outside in the cold.

"Guys! It's finally snowing! Finally!"

Both of us watch as she leans onto our table, panting, her cheeks as red as her nose.

"You need to come with me. Now!"

Daphne shakes her head, "I don't think my Arithmancy homework would like to wait."

"Tell it I don't care," Tracey rules, "I don't like to wait either."

"She's right," I agree, "we need a break anyway. And you deserve it more than anyone Daphne, you workaholic."

. . .

It's heavenly outside. Bright and white and so cold that our limbs will soon be frozen if we won't suit up warmer. Tracey dragged us outside without granting us time to grab our scarves let alone our coats.

But I can't blame her, I would have, too, in her place.

The view is enchanting; white-covered meadows and hills, trees and roofs; lively with students everywhere; playing in the powder snow like little kids would.

It doesn't take long before I get the first wet snow shoved down my back.

Tracey is merciless, strategically fighting the wildest snowball fights with us, until we're all on the ground, laughing and fighting for the freezing air.

"I'm going to catch a cold," Daphne groans, shaking snow out of her hair, "and I'm going to kill you for it, Tracey."

"Cold showers are healthy, why can't this be too?"