five

I Bet On Losing Dogs

His grip on her arm became a tight hug. He pulled her into his chest even though it was hot.

Y/N didn't have too many complaints, apart from the hot feeling and the possibility that the dog's still following her.

"You okay?" Mikey asked.

Y/N's eyes blinked a few times before she got back to her senses. She pushed Mikey away and walked away from him a little.

"Y/N, I'm asking if you're okay—"

"Kaya pala nawala, sa ibang aso na nagpakagat."

She looked up and saw Izana's sour face and the Haitani brothers behind him. His hands are crossed and his looks are mocking not only you, but also Mikey.

"Lalandi ampota."

"Why didn't you wait for me? You bastard, I ran for my life earlier!"

"I told you to wait! I told you to keep it busy but you ran away. I had a hard time finding you in this shitty weather only to see you flirting with some short trash can."

She saw Izana's jaw clenched, but there's a smirk playing on his lips and there she knew she have to shut up.

Izana eyed Mikey sharply. He looked at him from head to toe before walking away. There, Y/N stood in doom while Rindou widened his eyes at her and Ran shaking his head before following Izana.

"Pray now, fool."

Rindou's whisper made her stick to him. Y/N didn't mind Mikey anymore, not even bothering thanking her for the help. She just walked away like nothing happened, leaving Mikey at the scene dumbfounded and pissed.

"You know, I'll only tell you this once so listen. Izana, he was as pale as a blank sheet of paper earlier. He was panting with his hands on his knees and his lips' color was gone."

"Why you telling me this? You're making me nervous!"

"I'm telling you so you won't make the same mistake twice! His biggest fear before was Shinichiro-san-"

"Shi...Shinichiro? Sano Shinichiro?"

Beat.

"Yes, his brother. Not really but-it's too long for me to explain the full context but now that his brother's dead, next in the line of his fears are dogs. Doesn't matter if it's a Chihuahua or a Great Dane, he's scared of it. So beware."

"I think he almost fainted earlier. You're so done for, Y/N," Ran butt in, grinning.

Until they arrived at a riverbank, the fact that Izana is Shinichiro's brother never left her mind.

That explained the anger in Izana's look, sure, but does that mean that he's related to Mikey? But there's barely any resemblance in them. Why was Mikey in Yokohama again? This is fucking my mind, damn it.

"Shinichiro-san..." she touched her chin unconsciously while spacing out.

"Shinichiro-san?"

"Huh? Wait, where are we?"

"Tsurumi."

"What?"

"Tsurumi Riverbank. You want me to take out your earwax?" Rindou sneered.

"That's sweet of you but also gross. No, thank you."

He left with Ran. Guess they're gonna eat something and they're not willing to spend money other than them. They always leave, and Y/N don't know why.

"Are you hurt?" she heard Izana say. He's lying on his back on the hillside with his hands behind his head as his support, and his legs crossed. He's looking at the sky and doesn't seem to want to look at her.

"No, not really."

He suddenly got up from lying down and walked on the sidewalk without a word. It took him ten minutes to get back.

In his right hand, he swings a black plastic bag. He came over to her and sat beside her.

"Just pick what you want."

Y/N opened the bag and there's a chocolate soft ice cream and a soda popsicle. She picked the chocolate one and stripped the plastic off of it before feasting. She then gave it back to him.

"Do you know him? You seem to know him."

"Oh, the guy from earlier? I... I don't. No, I don't know him."

"Okay."

It's three in the afternoon of one Summer day, and of course it's hot. It's a good thing the riverbank doesn't get much sun rays and Izana bought ice creams to eat or else it might be worse.

"Look, I..."

"Hm?"

"I'm sorry..."

"What?"

"I'm sorry for uh, punching you in the face."

"Wow? Wow! My ears feel blessed."

"Don't mock me!"

She laughed before staring at him, who's eating a popsicle miserably in awkwardness. "Alright, alright. By the way, have you eaten? I didn't see you eat."

He shook his head and that made her hiss."That's why your attitude is worse now. You're coming home with me, let's go."

She grabbed one of his hands and dragged him away from the riverbank. His silence is really surprising.

"Did you see that?"

"So it's not only me. We should poke our eyes if we're still seeing real things and not hallucinations because that's not what a Kurokawa Izana would do."

"Let me gouge your eyes myself. I'll wash them for you, too."

"What? No!"

A simple gesture it seems. But it was like the domino effect, with her bringing him home as the trigger. She knew well what she was going for. She has seen it. She has to see it. Because she already knew what betting on losing dogs feels like.