sixteen

Away With The Fairies

Y/N was too stunned to even speak and just let herself slip into Kakucho's arms. He dragged her and they moved a little farther away from the Haitanis and hid behind a pole inside the train station thick enough to hide from the brothers.

The scarred let go of her and took a deep breath, letting the air go in and out of him in hopes of it making him calm down. He then placed his left hand on his hips and the right one massaging his temple, still breathing heavily.

"Why the fuck are you here? What kind of bullshit did you go after again, huh?"

Kakucho was raging with anger and Y/N had only now seen him in this state since she had joined Tenjiku. She admits that he's really scary, partly because she was used to his smiles and his occasional frown.

"Someone died in there, for Pete's sake! If I–if I didn't hear you talking to Kisaki Tetta over the phone the other day, I wouldn't know you'd be going to a gang fight, Y/N. I wouldn't know you'd be hiding behind torn, bulky boxes eating your goddamn sandwich and watching people beat the crap out of each other."

Kakucho whispered, his voice laced with wrath.

"Y-You heard me?"

"Yes! And I know what you've been plotting. For the love of Pete, please, stop going after Mikey! It would bring you no good. You're weak, defenseless, and most importantly, stupid. Tell me, how are you supposed to fight against him–"

Like a thread thinning, YN's patience got cut off and had given up. The crispy sound of her slapping Kakucho's cheek echoed thoroughly at the train station, causing some to turn their heads on them and watch.

Her eyes brimmed with tears as her frustration got the best of her. She didn't think of taking her eyes off of Kakucho who kept his head tilted for a few seconds, seemingly feeling the impact he just received.

She seemed to come back to her senses when a warm tear rolled down her cheek. She looked down and wiped the wetness of her cheek before looking at him again.

"Oh my god. Kaku, I'm sorry I didn't mean to–"

Y/N tried to hold his cheek to at least soothe the redness but he shoved her hand away, still looking sideways.

"Stop, okay. Stop. Just–stop."

Kakucho rummaged in his pants' pockets when his phone rang again. He picked it up and answered, then put it near his ear to hear Rindou's voice.

"H-Hello."

"Hey. Can you go to Y/N's house now? To wake her up. It's Monday and she's probably still sleeping. I know she skipped school today too, so…"

"Yeah, yeah. I already went there and she said she'll also skip this week's meeting," Kakucho gave her a sharp but tired look. She didn't even try to pursue him more because she didn't know how much longer his patience would last, so she just waited there in case he had more to say.

"Just go home, please. You might be tired and it's not the best moment to talk about what happened."

He held the phone away from the two of them before he spoke. She nodded, clearly not given a choice.

The next day then came. It's the first day of November 2005, a Tuesday.

It's been a year, huh?

Y/N decided to skip school again that day, thinking that with the amount of time she missed school, she will definitely fail this school year and will repeat her last year in high school for the second time.