twenty-one

So Not Worth It

"Gather up. We're going home."

Several pairs of feet sank into the sand when Kakucho yelled to say that they were going home. They rushed towards the scarred who was the least tired — him who spent his day napping under a big beach umbrella.

It was six in the evening when they decided to go home. Tired from all day running and making sandcastles, Ran's arms are aching so much that it would be worse if he carried his bag.

His hair was loose and is starting to dry, so there are fewer chances he'd get sick if he tied his hair. But unfortunately, he has no energy to do so.

"You good, Ran?" Y/N approached him, taking his bag away from his grasp and handing it to Rindou.

"He's not tired, trust me. He can knock 30 men by himself! He's just pretending to be one so that I will carry his bag, which I am doing now."

"Shut up. Can you tie my hair, Y/N? Here are the hair ties. Tie it for me, please."

"Okay."

The h/c-haired fished for a spare comb from her pockets and started combing Ran's hair. It detangled his hair easily so it gave her no hassle when she put his hair into a high ponytail. "There," she smiled, raising her eyebrows up and down after she gave him a pocket mirror.

"Wow. You'd be a great hairstylist."

"Thank you."

"Your hair looks so dead, what the hell. No wonder it looks like that. You always braid it after you get out of the shower."

"Rin."

"Okay, sorry."

"You want me to do your hair too?" Y/N pulled the chicken-head and made him squat, just exactly as tall as she needed him to be. With the extra ties Ran gave her, her hands moved to hook the bands into Rindou's dyed locks. The squat gave Rindou a slight pain and cramps, but he didn't mind. What's important is the h/c-haired's hands softly touching his hair.

"You're 17 and what, balding?"

"I just turned 18!"

Y/N let go of Rindou and Ran gave him the pocket mirror Y/N lent him. His face turned sour after having a glimpse of the poorly done pigtails his three strands of hair had to go through.

"What the fuck is this?!"

"You look like Sailor Moon but balding."

"Can you do my hair too?"

"You're bald."

"Stop abusing the word bald."

The three huddled as Izana stood behind them — one hand on his waist while the other held a drawstring of his bag, watching the three riot as he only frowned and watched them. He seems so done and bored and tired. His sloppy eyes dropping second after second and the small, dark bags under them speaks of his urge to go home.

The h/c-haired thought of it as a funny moment. With the three brawling about Kakucho's bald head and Rindou's bald spots, Y/N fished for her camera, for the second time that day, and clicked the button halfway to focus it before pushing it fully to capture the moment.

"11-15-05. Rindou's birthday."

She captioned it as she plastered the wallet size picture to a small journal-like notebook she bought solely for the purpose of keeping the pictures. Since her camera can only accommodate 41 pictures maximum, she has to either delete the photos so she'd have more storage to take pictures with or print them out. She chose the latter and with the help of the local printing shop, she has glued over 20 pictures in her 50-paged journal, leaving 40 empty pages left. She glued a couple of pictures on each page, leaving the backside plain and untouched.