twenty-two

One After Another

Y/N swears she saw numbers and symbols and nouns floating in the air. They were dancing around her, tauntingly, as they seemed to move to the accompaniment of her headache. Rubbing both her temples as she dropped the pen on the chair she was using as her table, she felt exhaustion slowly consuming her physically and mentally.

It was a rainy Friday afternoon. She got out of school at 3, she has a pile of paper sitting on a chair just beside the one she was sitting on that are barely reduced, and the clock reads 5 — a couple of hours has passed only then she realized that a staring contest with her test papers won't make the questions filled and answered.

She sighed, closing the 50-paged module.

It was the 25th of November 2005 and in the past eight days, the h/c-haired only finished two of the 25 modules she was given. It was actually a surprise how she managed to finish a couple of stapled paperwork as eight hours of school five days a week, a part-time job every other day after school that ends at 8 pm maximum, and attending gang meetings occupies her schedule on a daily basis. Luckily, she's still alive as her always-unannounced training often forces its way to her to-do list.

Anyway, as the number of Tenjiku increases and the abandoned warehouse where they hold their meeting begins to be filled, Y/N tidies up and cleans the place she was working at. She hid her things behind the rusty metal pipes and brushed the dust off of her.

Izana approached her in his uniform and hid half of his body behind her to tickle and draw circles on her palm, which she withholds behind her as her arms are hiding on her back, crossed.

She twisted his hand slightly to stop him, which she, in turn, earned a groan from him. "That hurts," he said, chuckling in her ear. "Stop," she ordered him. Things will turn real ugly once hundreds of — those in front of her — stubborn, fearless teenagers find out about what's going on between the King of Tenjiku and his supposedly, "slave".

Y/N stepped down and let Izana climb up the mini stage they have made out of stacked plywoods. She stopped and remained near the small door near the stage that she uses as an escape path whenever she doesn't feel like training.

"Listen carefully, my dear servants," Izana started. "Today, I gathered you here to announce important news, and to introduce someone very valuable."

"You may now step forward, Shion." Izana turned his head behind and whispered. There, from the right side of the stage — where the Haitani brothers, Kakucho, and Mucho lined up — popped up a slim and tall guy who Y/N thinks is the same age as Izana. He has long blond hair swept to the right with the left side of his head shaved, revealing a temple tattoo extending down to his neck.

The blond made his way up to the stage. He stood beside Izana, both arms behind him and legs spread apart.

"I want you all to meet Madarame Shion, the newest Heavenly King of Tenjiku. He was the Black Dragons' 9th leader, and formerly, a member of the S-62 Generation."

The small scar Shion has on the leftmost side of his mouth moved, at least in Y/N's point of view, as she's paying a little too much attention to the new member. He was smirking, eyeing the packed warehouse with men in red uniforms.

It made her frown unconsciously. The pride the guy has is overflowing, and it's honestly getting into her. Unpleasant, she thought of it. She can feel it was all over the place and it was sickening — presumably — only to her. Nonetheless, she didn't take the stare off of him, not until he looked back in her direction and widened his smirk more.

Mad dumb and ugly. First impressions do last in some cases. She just hopes that that wasn't the case for her as she doesn't want a very annoying goat loitering around her in her time in the gang.

Izana spoke again, and that's where Y/N pointed her focus. Minutes passed and Izana wrapped up. He made the members leave in a span of two minutes, and only did he make the Heavenly Kings stay behind, also tagging the h/c-haired along.

"Long time no see, Mad Dog," Ran taunted. He eyes Shion up and down. He then smiled lazily.

"You're looking pretty good, Ran. Still doing drugs?"

"Nah. At least not as often as before. Bet you haven't stopped too but you look so high right now."

"Fucker. Rindou, won't you say hi to me? Where're my 'welcome back' kisses?" Shion pursed his lips and brought himself closer to Rindou. Wrapping his arms around his shoulder, he made smooching sounds and even attempted to actually kiss the chicken head. They only dropped the foolish acts when Izana smacked both of their heads.

"Where's Mochi and Mucho? Am I missing something?" Shion asked. "Mochi just left. He said he's sick of your face and he doesn't want to see you ever, anymore. Mucho is in the Tokyo Manji Gang."

"Oh, I see. Looking great. Okay. Now, who are you, and why are you here?"

As Shion drew himself closer to Y/N, she felt his mouth blowing air faintly on her face as he scanned her with magnifying glass-like eyes. She saw them bulging and narrowing alternately in the 15 seconds he's looking at her intently. It was so uncomfortable that she almost blew his balls off if only Izana was not watching them.

"Not bad. 5/10. Pretty mid. Whose bitch is this?" he looked around with seeking eyes. "Anyone?"

"We should go home, right?" Kakucho halted them. The scarred can feel the tension building up between Shion and Y/N, and he didn't want any more business to resolve that day for two reasons: One, it's almost 6 in the evening and he can hear his stomach rumbling and two, he's too tired to be a referee in a children's-fight-in-the-making like this.

"Y/N, go get your things. I'll take you home," Kakucho told Y/N.

She did as she was told. But before that, she rolled her eyes and whispered, "dumb fuck" with full conviction before turning his back from the blond scarred.

"Wait. Y/N, as in L/N Y/N?"

"Yeah, why?" Izana questioned. Shion didn't answer but instead, let out an unrestrained smile with the mouth open. He laughed mockingly before going closer to Y/N again.

"I know your secret~"